Pekin ducks with same bad foot.....

Nants

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
We bought four giant Pekins and four Buff ducks. One Pekin died in transit, one was VERY lame and eventually died and now our remaining survivors have gimpy feet (both are the same foot) but they seem to be getting around pretty well. The Buffs are doing amazingly well by comparison. Is this common in the Giant Pekins?

We bought four giant Pekins and four Buff ducks. One Pekin died in transit, one was VERY lame and eventually died and now our remaining survivors have gimpy feet (both are the same foot) but they seem to be getting around pretty well. The Buffs are doing amazingly well by comparison. Is this common in the Giant Pekins?
How old are they? Pekins grow very fast and though i have never owned any i have read they can be prone to leg problems because of their fast growth, Do you give them Niacin? start on 100-150mgs of plain naicin in their 1 gal of water,fresh daily. use plain niacin not time release of flush free, I'll give you 1 link to read that may help you understand more and some info I found.
Special Consideration/Notes on Pekin Ducks: The laid-back Pekin is adaptable and hardy, but its phenomenal growth rate can predispose it to lameness and other health problems. Choose birds with good, strong legs and avoid feeding growing fowl a diet too high in protein if you plan to raise them as pets, show birds, or breeders rather than for slaughter. In his book, Storey’s Guide to Raising Ducks, veteran raiser Dave Holderread recommends a diet with 15 to 16 percent protein for ducks 3 to 8 weeks of age.
http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Hope this helps and sorry for your loss, and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom