Question about Tractor Supply chicks~

I last week obtained some chicks from Tractor Supply, they had pullets in one tub, there weren' sure what breed and RIR straight run, bantam assortment ,straight run , cornish , straight run, i ask same questions as you , there weren't sure about vaccines, but was told Tractor Supply has there own hatchery....possibly that was made up also, so unfortunately i have no idea either, but i brought home some bantam assortment , can't wait to see what they grow up to be......

smile.png

Hi Amy.

I was told by my TSC that the chicks come from a hatchery somewhere up north.I know the mgr of my local store and that is what he told me.The district mgrs should know this and should make the knowledge of wether they are vaccinated or not to each store mgr and they in turn should tell the staff or post where John Q Public can read it right where the chicks and ducks are kept.

As far as the medicated food goes,I use it with all of my chicks and I have Silkies and OEGBS and they do fine and it helps them have a firmer stool if they don't have to fight Cocidiosis and for your further information once it is transmitted to outside and where ever contaminated chickens or dogs or cats for that matter go potty it will become endemic to your ground and you will tend to have problems with future cocidiosis.

Yes TSC does use the medicated food for the chickens but I am not sure if they use it for ducks.
I live in Farmville VA and our store has had RIRS,St run Bantams of various kinds,IE silkies,D'uccles,OEGBS,and some of the others escape me just now.Also they have had CornishX,some white pullets and i think they were broilers as I was told they grow really fast.
Ducks were Mallards and white pekings and that is just about it as far so far as what my store has had and they are suppose to get new shipments in every week for the next three or so weeks.
Hope that I have helped you.
Milliestwo.

Our TSC doesn't carry medicated feed. Unfortunately our TSC is the only feed store that I can find besides one that is only opened for 3 hrs on tues and thurs and haven't gotten a chance to even go in there yet to see what type of food they carry. I am going nuts trying to find a feed store in this area. Do other TSC carry medicated?

I actually used to work for TSC--where they get their chicks from depends on the district (stores are grouped into districts/regions). They are usually not vaccinated (that would cost more). The stores in general are not very knowledgable about chickens
sad.png
unless they have someone working there that has them and can teach the rest of the staff. Basically, by selling chicks, its a way to get to come in and buy the other stuff--like lights, waters, feed, etc.
Some stores do sell medicated feed--not all the TSCs carry the same brand of feed. Your local feed mill will have it.

Yep, The TSC I went in MI didn't have medicated feed. When I asked the sales person gave me a yellow and white bag of antibiotics, and told me to put it in their water. I was skeptical, and found out later it was one of the antibiotics I was allergic to. I ended up getting my feed somewhere else.

They didn't have any chicks when I was i there either. Just bunnies.

Bluemoon

Hi! I'm new to BYC and have a question maybe someone can answer for me. The Tractor Supply store here is getting chicks in next week and I just want to know if they are usually vaccinated or not. I called the store and they didn't know. They also don't know where they are coming from. So just seeing if anyone on here might know so I know whether to buy medicated or unmedicated feed for them. I really love this site! I have learned so much! Thanks in advance!
smile.png

Amy
Hi Amy,
My name is Dave or David, I have four hens my dad bought me last year at tractor supply and they just want food and water, and ive never had a rotten egg from them ive always enjoyed the eggs that have produced from my chickens you know the chickens layed? You can check on the bag to see if the bag has antibiotics already in the feed! okay?

Hi Amy,
My name is Dave or David, I have four hens my dad bought me last year at tractor supply and they just want food and water, and ive never had a rotten egg from them ive always enjoyed the eggs that have produced from my chickens you know the chickens layed? You can check on the bag to see if the bag has antibiotics already in the feed! okay?
You realize the thread is from 2009?
Welcome to BYC

Back
Top Bottom