Reasons Why You Shouldn't Keep Just One Goose

I understand this but on a smaller level, three years ago we have a whole batch of coturnix quail to hatch and only one hatched, that was Frankie. She bonded with me in no way other birds have, she was so weird, so strange, so happy in her own way, she was a little Frankie. When we finally got around to getting more quail she was probably 2-3 months old, and at first she was EXTREMELY aggressive to them, it was like since she was hand-raised by me she didn't know how to 'quail' with the other quails. After a few play-dates though, she at least didn't try to karate chop them so they began living together. Frankie never ever fit into the quail group, she was always happy when I came in, she would sing to me and stand on top of my shoe, not exactly wanting to be picked up or snuggled but LOVED to sit on my shoe and hang out with me. As the year went on, we lost quail for various reasons, one flew away onto our neighbors roof, one escaped out the enclosure into the bushes and disappeared, etc. We ended up with just Frankie and Shitbat who became good friends thankfully, they stayed good friends until Frankie passed last year and since then I've been trying to get Shitbat a friend, (and might give her to a friend who has a batch of quails.) but even though Frankie wasn't so happy to be with quail, I felt better knowing that when I wasn't there to lend her my shoe to stand upon, she had other quails to karate chop, sing at, and stand upon.

This post is making it so hard for me not to, and the guy's sign makes me laugh every time I see it, "Rent a backhoe operator" to get my pond dug. I would love a reason to have a pond and would love having evil geese around for predator defense as well.

I'm thinking the above ground pool that was here on the property when I bought it is about done anyway but the pump and sand filter could easily be repourposed for either koi or geese or just the frogs and some water lillys.

Now I think this spring I need to add a water feature to the property and then some kind of fowl to take advantage of it.

@Pyxis what are your recommendations for a night time geese enclosure? I know nothing about geese.

Or even recommendations for a minimum sized pond for them. I am thinking 10,000 gallon mimumum and a depth of 4 feet. With 2 foot deep edges for water lillies. Then a shallow marshy return for filtration purposes and amphibians.

Last edited:
@Pyxis what are your recommendations for a night time geese enclosure? I know nothing about geese.

Or even recommendations for a minimum sized pond for them. I am thinking 10,000 gallon mimumum and a depth of 4 feet. With 2 foot deep edges for water lillies. Then a shallow marshy return for filtration purposes and amphibians.

Mine sleep in my hoop coop with my chickens. I would say at least five square feet per bird and at least four feet tall.

Mine just have a kiddie pool :) Any pond at all that you can make for them they will appreciate. They will poop in it, so you'll want to make sure the filter can handle that.

Mine sleep in my hoop coop with my chickens. I would say at least five square feet per bird and at least four feet tall.

Mine just have a kiddie pool :) Any pond at all that you can make for them they will appreciate. They will poop in it, so you'll want to make sure the filter can handle that.
The reason I ask is my roosts are currently 50% full adding 5 or so geese (if they roost) would blow my current coop math.

edit-- there is 64 feet of floor space the chicken dont use, -10square feet if the floor space needs to be poop free.

The reason I ask is my roosts are currently 50% full adding 5 or so geese (if they roost) would blow my current coop math.

edit-- there is 64 feet of floor space the chicken dont use, -10square feet if the floor space needs to be poop free.

Geese don't roost :) They sleep on the ground. You could add them to your current coop with the chickens.

Geese don't roost :) They sleep on the ground. You could add them to your current coop with the chickens.
Thank you I was assuming they would be happy in the back half of the coop on the hay without chicken roosting over their heads. You are a wealth of information and thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Back
Top Bottom