So cute! Does he have hides or just bedding? What type of he source(s) are you using?
He is cute! I just love him. He is really great about handling. I've gotten a few scared kids to hold him, they usually end up smiling and giggling the whole time.

He's got a big hide that he used to use all the time for basking, then he's got a plant in his cool corner, and he is usually sitting under his water dish.

For heat I use the two lamps still, it's cold so I'm still using infrared at night. I've been crazy busy and the one store I went to had pathetic options for heat source. I think I'm going to town tommorow so I'll swing by the pet store and see about an undertank heater.

He is cute! I just love him. He is really great about handling. I've gotten a few scared kids to hold him, they usually end up smiling and giggling the whole time.

He's got a big hide that he used to use all the time for basking, then he's got a plant in his cool corner, and he is usually sitting under his water dish.

For heat I use the two lamps still, it's cold so I'm still using infrared at night. I've been crazy busy and the one store I went to had pathetic options for heat source. I think I'm going to town tommorow so I'll swing by the pet store and see about an undertank heater.
As long as temps seem good and his appetite is good, I think there is nothing to worry about. I have read that burrowing is a common behavior especially for young corn snakes. I bet he is really enjoying all the extra substrate.

As long as temps seem good and his appetite is good, I think there is nothing to worry about. I have read that burrowing is a common behavior especially for young corn snakes. I bet he is really enjoying all the extra substrate.
That's good to hear😅
It kinda worried me because with any other animal hiding would mean sick. He tried burrowing in the other stuff but he really seems to enjoy the aspen. He has little tunnels everywhere so I think your conclusion is right. Thx!

That's good to hear😅
It kinda worried me because with any other animal hiding would mean sick. He tried burrowing in the other stuff but he really seems to enjoy the aspen. He has little tunnels everywhere so I think your conclusion is right. Thx!
No problem! And I hear you, constant hiding *can* be bad. But I also know that with reptiles restless often means stressed. And still can mean content. I think your little is the happy and content kind of still.

My house gecko, Penny, is currently in this 11 gallon tank. But I'm working on ordering everything for her new 20 gallon bioactive enclosure.
And I was thinking, since I'd have an extra tank and I want to get another reptile (or amphibian) someday, I might be able to use this tank.
20220212_152242.jpg

It still works treat and I've had it for three years.

What I'm wondering though, is what reptiles or amphibians yall think something this size would work for. Preferably an animal that won't need an upgrade and could stay in this tank it's whole life. Though, if it's slow growing and this would work for a while I could upgrade after a while.
And of course if it's something that will need a smaller enclosure as a baby I would likely be able to provide that until s/he can use the 11 gallon.

I love all reptiles and amphibians, but two things tat are important to me is that one, the animal has an easy diet. For Penny, she only eats live crickets and keeping them can be a bit of a pain. So something that has a main diet of longer lasting food would be great (but I wouldn't mind getting live meal worms or crickets for supplements or a treat every now and then).

Secondly, I really want something that's going to be easy to handle. Whatever species it is, I want to be able to bond with it a lot and keep it outside of the tank. Which rules out all the amphibians I can think of.
So something that isn't too tiny and fragile as an adult, isn't prone to jumping a lot, and will be happy sitting with me while I read a book or watch a movie for example.

I likely won't be getting whatever it is for another year or so, but I like to have time to research so when the right one comes along I'll be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom