Rooster issue

The Good Grumble

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2024
So I im a celiac, and cannot handle gluten in feed. Cross contamination can cause all sorts of bad for me. I’ve always used New Country organics wheat free layer. But this past spring I was surprised with a Roo, who I adore, he’s my chicken shaped dog. Anyway, I’ve asked a few times about feed, and layer isn’t recommended because of the added calcium. (I ferment and always have if that’s needed information)

Because of my boy, I’m keeping everyone on Texas naturals grower, I love it. (Pea, peanut and fish protein) Awesome food. However I add oyster shells for my layers, which they always eat happily.

But so does my dumb dumb rooster. It’s like a super treat for him and he will pig out on it. What the heck, I’m trying to make sure that goober stays healthy…should I switch back to my normal layer feed or keep the flock on the grower crumble?

They do free range for a few hours a day, get some table and garden scraps, additionally I use cinnamon, oatmeal, oregano, cayenne and flax seed. (All from my garden)

Mystery Chickens suggestion is bang on!

Also, make sure the Oyster Shell is *on the side* in a separate dish.
It does not need to be and really should not be mixed into the feed.
The idea with supplemental Oyster Shell is that hens be free to take as much or as little as they need.

So I had this same concern. I kept seeing my cockerel digging in the oyster shell container. He does have access to grit. At first I was worried but then I really paid attention. I realized he noticed the girls going over and getting some oyster shell so he runs over and grabs some and kind of tosses it out of the container for them. I thought he was eating it but now I think he's trying to help the ladies?

I have no idea if this is normal...but it might explain.

So I had this same concern. I kept seeing my cockerel digging in the oyster shell container. He does have access to grit. At first I was worried but then I really paid attention. I realized he noticed the girls going over and getting some oyster shell so he runs over and grabs some and kind of tosses it out of the container for them. I thought he was eating it but now I think he's trying to help the ladies?

I have no idea if this is normal...but it might explain.
So same, he has no interest in grit. I’m guessing because he is constantly pecking in sand.

Mystery Chickens suggestion is bang on!

Also, make sure the Oyster Shell is *on the side* in a separate dish.
It does not need to be and really should not be mixed into the feed.
The idea with supplemental Oyster Shell is that hens be free to take as much or as little as they need.
It’s a separate feeder. I don’t free feed, they get fed 2x per day. Fermented feed. (Super helpful in getting them in lol)

Back
Top Bottom