Scaly leg mites?

RESQME49

Songster
6 Years
Jan 21, 2018
Olympia Washington
I took in 7 hens a month ago ( new to chickens ) and noticed the legs on one of them are thick, grey and scaly. Im very certain its scaly leg mites. She seems to be the only one affected. I am heading to tractor supply to get some Vetrx, vasoline, and Vicks Vapo rub. What all should I be doing to rid this issue? The chicken coop is new, I clean it out once a week and have vinyl on the floor. Input would be awesome. Thank you!

I'll try to get some pics. Im pretty certain of it as it looks like all the pictures of it. I think the other Rhode Island Red has it as well. Just not nearly as bad. I picked up some Vetrx, Campho Phinique, vicks vapo rub and vasoline. Im planning on mixing the Vetrx, campho and some tea tree oil together and rub that in, then mix the vicks and the vasoline together and coat the legs.

I'll try to get some pics. Im pretty certain of it as it looks like all the pictures of it. I think the other Rhode Island Red has it as well. Just not nearly as bad. I picked up some Vetrx, Campho Phinique, vicks vapo rub and vasoline. Im planning on mixing the Vetrx, campho and some tea tree oil together and rub that in, then mix the vicks and the vasoline together and coat the legs.
Good luck.
I personally don't think mixing all of those things in necessary nor do I think some of them should be used, but this is just my opinion.

49946D15-AFD9-4674-81FA-F394527E58EE.jpeg

Are you going to elaborate?
Well Vetrx is basically Vick for chickens...so why use two of the same things?
The Campho-phenique that I know about has pain reliever in it, I am not sure the exact kind, but usually it is advised to not use anything with a pain reliever in it on chickens.
Vaseline is just a gobby mess.

Soak these poor feet in some warm epsom salt water and GENTLY scrub them a little with a soft toothbrush to help break up the mite "poop"...then spray some oil on them.
Repeat the process again once a week. I would spray every other day for a week to kill (smother) the mites though.

Back
Top Bottom