Scaly leg mites?

You should be OK to just wipe vaseline all over the legs. All you need to do is smoother the legs and the mite will die. The two suggested by @KikisGirls may well be cleaner and easier to administer as it is a spray rather than a thick oily cream than can get quite messy especially when the hen's are scratching around. You can also use ivermectin but you will have a egg withdrawal period.

Have you successfully treated scaly leg mites? From what I have read ( Just forum threads) everything I picked up is the recommended treatment. The vicks and or vasoline is to smother the mites/eggs and people swear by campho. They also swear by vetrx. I know nothing about this, so I just grabbed a little of everything. From what I read though, the next step would be Ivarmectin. And I dont want to do that.

I have treated it twice successfully once with vaseline and ivermectin but this hen wasn't laying so the withdrawal wasn't a issue. The second I used a 'bought' cream and that worked but did seem to take longer.
DSC_0525.JPG
DSC_0526.JPG
They can leave the chickens legs a little unsightly but keep on top of applying whatever you decide and there not that difficult to kill off.

What happens if it doesnt get treated? How long is the egg withdrawl with Ivermectin? I saw it in TSC and its pretty pricey. Looks like I would have to treat all birds with it? Is the Ivermectin a one time treatment? There is just so little info about it. And we dont have a chicken vet.

I would probably say it's better to apply the vaseline every 2-3 days for about 7-10 days. The ivermectin I used was in little pipettes and I just applied 1 pipettes to the neck of the hen. I'm not sure about withdrawal time though. I don't itch anymore though!!

Lol. I'll hit their legs with some vaso. Ivermectin seems pretty harsh. Would the coconut oil spray or the canola spray work as effective as vasoline?

I've never used a spray but I don't see why it shouldn't work. Its all about smothering the mites. They suffocate and die. You should continue it so the mite eggs that hatch also die killing the lifecycle.

Back
Top Bottom