Severe scoliosis of cervical spine - 8 day old chick

Fillymj

Songster
Jan 5, 2020
Long Grove , IL
My 8 day old Barnevildoer chick keeps her head turned to the right with large lump on the left. Can push the lump into normal position which I do several times a day. She doesn’t seem to be in pain. Eating, drinking, pooping normally.

Took her to vet today for checkup. Was told she has severe scoliosis of cervical spine. R/O congenital abnormality with developmental connective tissue/muscular disorder.

I wanted to splint it but was advised against it. Doctor recommended a wait and see.

Has anyone had this type of thing before? Is there anything I can do for her? Is it possible for her to lead a relatively normal life?

Attachments

• EC2BEC29-86AF-4870-8856-9331579FD264.jpeg
    EC2BEC29-86AF-4870-8856-9331579FD264.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 66
  • A6206B15-A04E-45BF-9632-1D9DF3A656A9.jpeg
    A6206B15-A04E-45BF-9632-1D9DF3A656A9.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 816E1C58-C48B-4883-A2D6-A11B0D776CE8.jpeg
    816E1C58-C48B-4883-A2D6-A11B0D776CE8.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 29
My 8 day old Barnevildoer chick keeps her head turned to the right with large lump on the left. Can push the lump into normal position which I do several times a day. She doesn’t seem to be in pain. Eating, drinking, pooping normally.

Took her to vet today for checkup. Was told she has severe scoliosis of cervical spine. R/O congenital abnormality with developmental connective tissue/muscular disorder.

I wanted to splint it but was advised against it. Doctor recommended a wait and see.

Has anyone had this type of thing before? Is there anything I can do for her? Is it possible for her to lead a relatively normal life?
No, I have never heard about anything like that, seems like the chick would passed away. Hope somebody else on here may know the solution to your problem.

It is hard to tell by the pictures, and chickens can suffer from spinal deformities, but I wonder if it would help to treat for wry neck (torticolis?) Try giving some vitamin E and vitamin B1 thiamine, which are both in Poultry NutriDrench and Poultry Cell vitamins. You can even increase the vitamin E a little more with a supplement.

It is hard to tell by the pictures, and chickens can suffer from spinal deformities, but I wonder if it would help to treat for wry neck (torticolis?) Try giving some vitamin E and vitamin B1 thiamine, which are both in Poultry NutriDrench and Poultry Cell vitamins. You can even increase the vitamin E a little more with a supplement.
I have Nutridrench will start tomorrow.

Will also get better pictures of her.

Thank you much appreciated.

I realize this post is a couple of years old, but I was just wondering how your chick turned out? I have a 3 month old lavender orpington cockerel with a very crooked neck, and I am curious about his prognosis and quality of life.

I realize this post is a couple of years old, but I was just wondering how your chick turned out? I have a 3 month old lavender orpington cockerel with a very crooked neck, and I am curious about his prognosis and quality of life.
You can start a new thread of your own for more help. Have you tried giving some vitamin E 400 IU, 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex, and a little egg for selenium?

You can start a new thread of your own for more help. Have you tried giving some vitamin E 400 IU, 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex, and a little egg for selenium?
@Eggcessive Thanks, I understand... I was just looking for information from similar threads before making a new one. Yes, he has been given all of the above many times, and I am beginning to think maybe he has a congenital defect of some soft.

Wry neck can happen for several reasons. Vitamin E or B1 (thiamine) deficiency, head or neck injuries, heredity, and in some chickens with certain diseases, such as Mareks and some others. Has your pullet had wry neck since hatch or for very long?
@Eggcessive Thanks, I understand... I was just looking for information from similar threads before making a new one. Yes, he has been given all of the above many times, and I am beginning to think maybe he has a congenital defect of some soft.

Wry neck can happen for several reasons. Vitamin E or B1 (thiamine) deficiency, head or neck injuries, heredity, and in some chickens with certain diseases, such as Mareks and some others. Has your pullet had wry neck since hatch or for very long?
I have treated wry neck several times in other chicks, and this does not look the same. I was not aware that wry neck could be a "chronic" condition. I have treated him with the selenium/vit e paste, nutridrench, scrambled eggs, etc with no change. I hoped it would get better as he grew/developed more muscle, but it just looks like his neck is permanently crooked over in an S shape to the right. I can manually straighten it, and I have seen him straighten it upright (for example when he fluffed up his neck feathers at another rooster). When he walks around though, he looks like he is hump-backed with his head over to the right and that right leg kinda wants to give a little. I'm wondering if it is some sort of spinal defect. I intend to post a new thread with all the details as soon as I can find time to get a good video of him walking and upload it!

Back
Top Bottom