Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
Lots more progress on the pallet shed in the past couple mornings - all sides have been sided and the roof is almost ready to tie in! I'm loving the look of the pallet slats, but as we all know, pallets are far from perfect so there are some gaps between the overlapping slats. I believe there is enough overlap to prevent water from traveling into those gaps. We have a big rain coming in Friday from a nearby tropical storm, so that will be a great test to see how water-tight the siding is. Any leaking spots will get a good dose of silicone caulk!

The last photo shows how I tied in the side-by-side pallets together, just with a small, trimmed down 2x4 screwed into the 2x4s of the pallets. I only got one screw on each side so the pallets do shift a little bit, but it doesn't really affect anything structurally.

Before tying in the roof, I will add some hardware cloth (scraps leftover from the chicken run) between the roof and pallets on front/back to cover some gaps. I hope to make it very difficult for rodents to take up residence in here, but they eventually will. It is already hot and dark in there, so I will need to find something to create some windows for light and airflow. I have a piece of plexiglass I was saving to make windows for the coop to bring in light, but I may need it more than the chickens!
This is looking so so so good!!!

If my pallet wood storage rack was 50% done yesterday, I'm probably at about 80% done this evening. Had a few minor setbacks, but managed to overcome them eventually.

First of all, yesterday I mentioned that this project would have been pretty easy if I had a helper. Well, I don't. But last night I thought of a simple jig to hold my 2X4's square while I worked on them.

Here is a picture of the jigs I made today, out of scrap wood...

1662686816941.jpeg

I simply took a piece of 4X4 and cut it down to about 3 inch high blocks. I glued that on to a scrap piece of pallet slat giving about 1 inch overhang on all sides. I then drilled a couple of 1-1/4 inch holes in each block for clamping. My clamps had a 1 inch width end point, so I needed 1-1/4 inch holes.

Here is how I used these jigs...

The clamps held the jig and the wood securely in place while I predrill holes to fasten the cross beam to the frame. The overhand on the scrap wood below the block allowed me to flush up the 2X4's on the bottom. In this case, I need to be flush on top, so I had to make a few adjustments before final clamp down.

1662687289418.jpeg

After I fastened a few of these 2X4's to the inside of the frame, I learned that I only needed one clamp to clamp the jig to the outside edge of the frame. The overhang lip of scrap wood on the bottom of the jig was good enough to hold the 2X4 in place until I handheld it flush with the top of the outside edge boards and drove in the screws.

Again, this jig was probably only useful because I did not have a helper to hold the 2X4's while I was driving in the screws. Having said that, I made a "helper" out of scrap wood and was able to complete the job myself. I find most things go faster if you have a helper, but if not, a simple little jig like this gives you that third hand you need.

:old Funny how life teaches you lessons. Before I was even in kindergarten, my grandfather had me "helping" him build things. Mostly, I just sat on a board when he sawed it. Later, I would be holding boards and such - a human clamp I guess. All the time watching and learning. After my grandfather passed, I had a number of years where I helped my father build things. The roles reversed later in his life and he became my helper. When my father passed, I ended up building things on my own. It was not until then that I appreciated how much another person helps with just the small things, but it really matters. :highfive:

:love I love reading about you guys that have young children at home to help you with your build projects. I don't always remember everything I helped my grandfather and father build, but every time I think about the time we had together building things - precious. Every bent nail, stripped out screw, or board I cut too short is now just a good memory.

:yesss: Well, I finished my outdoor pallet wood storage rack today. It's more functional than good to look at. But, I'm uploading some pictures of the project just the same.

First of all, the goal of this outdoor pallet wood storage rack was to clean up my "dump" piles of reclaimed wood that have grown this summer. I had a couple piles of this lumber laying around, sitting out in the elements, taking up room for more important stuff. So, the storage rack was meant to hold this reclaimed lumber, outside, but mostly out of the rain and snow so that the wood will still be good when I finally need it. It is also not meant to organize my wood, just store it. When I need the wood, I'll have to spend some time digging through the lumber looking for boards I want.

With that in mind, here is a picture of one of my wood piles of reclaimed lumber, sitting out on the garage apron, just being an eye sore and taking up room in front on the garage.

1662770961581.jpeg

There is some good lumber in there for a future project, but I needed to get it up off the ground and out of the rain.

I made my rack using full pallets for the back and sides, and I added a frame about 2/3 the way up as a shelf.

1662771190141.jpeg

That's about how far I got yesterday. I had a problem in that the ground was not level, and that really slowed me down. From the back to the front, it dropped about 5 inches. Today, I put a beam underneath the bottom pallets and leveled the sides with some scrap lumber pieces. You might be able to see it in the picutre, but the storage rack is now level.

1662771154831.jpeg

I also added a beam on top to hold my pallets that I made for the roof. The front is higher than the back, so rain and snow should run off the back end of the rack. Here is a picture of one of the pallets used for the top. I decided to go with a board on board method to fill the gaps...

1662771488961.jpeg

The top is not completely waterproof, but it will keep out most of the rain and snow and protect the wood underneath. Plus, I will be covering the storage rack with a tarp. Here is a picture with the top on, the tarp ready, and filled up with one pile of reclaimed lumber....

1662771700719.jpeg

In the top shelf, I can store full 8 foot boards. All my 6 and 8 foot boards are being thrown up there in this picture. On the bottom pallets, I plan on filling that with 4 foot boards and my misc. cutoffs. Not much to look at, I know, but this storage rack is behind a wooden fence, under the trees, out of sight. So, no one will ever see it anyway.

Finally, I dropped the tarp and this is what it will look like for most of the time, if you ever went out there. The tarp should be enough to keep the weather out all winter.

1662771940766.jpeg

One bonus design on the way I laid down the top roof pallets is that I can slide in 2X4's up to 12 feet long and keep them out of the weather. The main rack is just over 8 feet long, but the top 3 pallets and laid down, end to end, making the roof 12 feet long. I have a nice 2 foot overhang on both ends to put something underneath it.

I've got one more pile of reclaimed lumber to put on the storage rack, but then that wood should be ready for the winter. I'm usually not ahead of that game, but I think I'll beat the snow this year. :clap

Well, it's not a great project to look at, but it will serve its purpose just fine. Also, I fastened everything with screws, so if I ever want to tear it apart someday, that will be really easy. Knowing me, that temporary storage rack may be sitting behind the fence for a number of years....

Attachments

• 1662771612809.jpeg
    1662771612809.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 3
Clap, clap, clap. But, you used up a lot of your stockpile building the rack so now you'll have to restock.... or something like that :)

Not really. I have been taking my trailer into town once a week for the past couple of months and picking up 6-8 pallets per trip. I've got a big stock in the backyard, probably 30 pallets now even after using 10 full pallets on the pallet wood storage rack.

:lau Probably going to have to build a pallet shed to store all my pallets!

More seriously, I'll probably cut back on how many pallets I take home real soon. When winter comes, I don't plan you using my trailer again until next spring. Also, since I don't have a heated workshop, my building projects will cease for the winter. Too cold out in the unheated garage to work.

Before winter gets here, I might make some more pallet wood raised beds, but of a slightly different design to use up some of those 2X4 stretchers that have the cutouts in the wood. I have one design that can use those cutout 2X4's behind the wood slats so you don't see the 2X4's. I try not to throw out, or burn, any pallet wood that I have. Sometimes, a simple redesign of a project allows you to use different parts of the pallet and hide the flaws (cutouts on the 2X4's) of the wood.

Currently, I have more reclaimed wood and pallets then I have projects to build. I guess that's a good problem to have. Hope other people on this thread continue to upload some good ideas of how I might use my stock of pallets.

:yesss: Well, I finished my outdoor pallet wood storage rack today. It's more functional than good to look at. But, I'm uploading some pictures of the project just the same.

First of all, the goal of this outdoor pallet wood storage rack was to clean up my "dump" piles of reclaimed wood that have grown this summer. I had a couple piles of this lumber laying around, sitting out in the elements, taking up room for more important stuff. So, the storage rack was meant to hold this reclaimed lumber, outside, but mostly out of the rain and snow so that the wood will still be good when I finally need it. It is also not meant to organize my wood, just store it. When I need the wood, I'll have to spend some time digging through the lumber looking for boards I want.

With that in mind, here is a picture of one of my wood piles of reclaimed lumber, sitting out on the garage apron, just being an eye sore and taking up room in front on the garage.

View attachment 3254360

There is some good lumber in there for a future project, but I needed to get it up off the ground and out of the rain.

I made my rack using full pallets for the back and sides, and I added a frame about 2/3 the way up as a shelf.

View attachment 3254367

That's about how far I got yesterday. I had a problem in that the ground was not level, and that really slowed me down. From the back to the front, it dropped about 5 inches. Today, I put a beam underneath the bottom pallets and leveled the sides with some scrap lumber pieces. You might be able to see it in the picutre, but the storage rack is now level.

View attachment 3254364

I also added a beam on top to hold my pallets that I made for the roof. The front is higher than the back, so rain and snow should run off the back end of the rack. Here is a picture of one of the pallets used for the top. I decided to go with a board on board method to fill the gaps...

View attachment 3254373

The top is not completely waterproof, but it will keep out most of the rain and snow and protect the wood underneath. Plus, I will be covering the storage rack with a tarp. Here is a picture with the top on, the tarp ready, and filled up with one pile of reclaimed lumber....

View attachment 3254378

In the top shelf, I can store full 8 foot boards. All my 6 and 8 foot boards are being thrown up there in this picture. On the bottom pallets, I plan on filling that with 4 foot boards and my misc. cutoffs. Not much to look at, I know, but this storage rack is behind a wooden fence, under the trees, out of sight. So, no one will ever see it anyway.

Finally, I dropped the tarp and this is what it will look like for most of the time, if you ever went out there. The tarp should be enough to keep the weather out all winter.

View attachment 3254384

One bonus design on the way I laid down the top roof pallets is that I can slide in 2X4's up to 12 feet long and keep them out of the weather. The main rack is just over 8 feet long, but the top 3 pallets and laid down, end to end, making the roof 12 feet long. I have a nice 2 foot overhang on both ends to put something underneath it.

I've got one more pile of reclaimed lumber to put on the storage rack, but then that wood should be ready for the winter. I'm usually not ahead of that game, but I think I'll beat the snow this year. :clap

Well, it's not a great project to look at, but it will serve its purpose just fine. Also, I fastened everything with screws, so if I ever want to tear it apart someday, that will be really easy. Knowing me, that temporary storage rack may be sitting behind the fence for a number of years....
I think this looks great! You had a fabulous vision and have done a fabulous job!!

Reminds me sorta of my hay and straw storage area. Which I also topped with a tarp, and it's the same dimensions. Mine does not have a roof yet, but likely will do metal since I have it laying around. I am planning to sandwich the bottom of the tarp between a few small pieces of 2x4 to help weight it down in heavy wind.

I think this looks great! You had a fabulous vision and have done a fabulous job!!

Thank you. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, it's a totally functional storage rack that I hope will help preserve my reclaimed wood, high and dry, until I need it.

Reminds me sorta of my hay and straw storage area. Which I also topped with a tarp, and it's the same dimensions.

:lau :idunno You know, maybe I was influenced by your hay and straw storage. I have been looking at many photos of pallet projects, and I cannot remember all of them. I think the pallets I put on top (with the board on board design to fill the gaps) are probably watertight enough not to worry about anything, but the tarp is just extra protection. And, I had that tarp just laying around anyway. Again, it was another pallet project that cost me $0.00 in wood cost and maybe only a dollar or two for the screws. But, it should protect about $400.00 worth of reclaimed wood when I get everything transferred into it.

Clap, clap, clap. But, you used up a lot of your stockpile building the rack so now you'll have to restock.... or something like that :)

:eek: 68. I actually counted my remaining pallets this morning. :woot

I guess I had a lot more pallets than I estimated yesterday when I stated I probably had 30 pallets left. Of course, some pallets are in better condition than others. But, still, lots of pallets to work with before the snow falls.

I guess I can start looking at building that pallet shed more seriously now. Don't know if I can do it myself, but maybe if I find the right design. I'm thinking maybe some type of pole barn design as the frame and then stacking the pallets up for the walls. But, I'm undecided right now.

:old I'm not as strong as I used to be, and I'm working all alone. A lot of thought has to go into my ability to build any large pallet project so I don't kill myself in the process. I'm at a stage in my life where safety comes first.

Back
Top Bottom