Something you saw a chicken do that made you stop and say, WHAT The Hell?

Pics
I was changing my flock’s water and some I’d dumped out ran down into an old dust bathing hole. They started drinking the muddy water so I tried to cover it with the bucket. All they wanted was the stuff on the ground. XD
View attachment 3867628
Happens every time...I may see something floating in their water (most often a wood chip or a feather) so I tip it, to drain that out, leaving just the clean water to drink. But no...they go nuts trying to suck up the nasty water I just dumped on the ground! Not just once, but every single time! It's a real Head scratcher...I just don't get why they'd rather have water mixed with wood chips, feathers & dirt when the nice, clean, cold, fresh water is right there, mere inches away!

My chooks are weird🤣! They will line things up perfectly. Yesterday I threw some Honeydue rinds in. We just cut the fruit in half so it made little bowls. My birds ate it then lined them up perfectly spaced right next to eachother upside down😳. How??? They're just bird brains I thought😂

So I got a new larger coop a few weeks ago and I got it sorted enough to move the girls into it last week. One evening I went to put them up for the night and by this point most of the girls were roosting in the new coop. My buff orpington Juniper decided to do this for some reason

IMG_20240614_205707647.jpg

That is a canopy I have over their run and where she was is probably a good 6 1/2 feet off the ground. Buff orpingtons not agile my foot lol
Not in frame, but one of my easter eggers, and probably Juniper's best friend, Ginkgo was strongly considering joining her in her odd roosting spot
Bonus: This is what I once walked out to when they were 6 weeks old (don't mind the jerryrigged temp structure)

IMG_20240414_203031714.jpg

Everyone now is roosting in their nice new coop happily rather than my canopy but that definitely made me say "what in the world?!"

So I got a new larger coop a few weeks ago and I got it sorted enough to move the girls into it last week. One evening I went to put them up for the night and by this point most of the girls were roosting in the new coop. My buff orpington Juniper decided to do this for some reason

View attachment 3867737
That is a canopy I have over their run and where she was is probably a good 6 1/2 feet off the ground. Buff orpingtons not agile my foot lol
Not in frame, but one of my easter eggers, and probably Juniper's best friend, Ginkgo was strongly considering joining her in her odd roosting spot
Bonus: This is what I once walked out to when they were 6 weeks old (don't mind the jerryrigged temp structure)

View attachment 3867750
Everyone now is roosting in their nice new coop happily rather than my canopy but that definitely made me say "what in the world?!"
A few of mine jump up on top of their gazebos. Everyone else goes into the gazebo, perching on the perch, in the shade. The goofy ones are on top of the gazebo & have poked holes through the tops with their toe nails & now are shredding the tops with glee, as if they've discovered a new toy. 🙄
The gazebos are not that tall, but tall enough so when I go to get them off, they scurry to the top middle, just out of my reach, & stare at me, clucking happily...I know they're saying, "Ha, ha, ha, can't get me now" those little buggers! 😆
I need to figure out what I'm going to do...I will need to make new tops because I am Not buying more material replacements for them to rip up again. Crazy dingbat birds!

IN the gazebo...Yes
20210613_203601.jpg 20200829_194502.jpg

ON the gazebo...No!
20220625_183635.jpg
20231206_095534.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom