South Carolina

Quote:
Amy, I hate that about your car! We had that happen once, when my DH did the same thing. Turns out some guys just drove it a few miles down the road and left it. Never found out who it was exactly, but had a pretty good idea. I hope you find out what happened to yours and can get it back.
I am counting down the hours until Friday and cooler weather! You would think I wouldn't it mind it since I was raised right here in the South, but getting older does something to our heat tolerance levels I think. I just want to hibernate, but need to make sure the girls are staying cool today.

I need to go out and buy more feed for the chicks that are 5 1/2 weeks old. How long do they stay on medicated feed. I keep reading different things on here, so thought I would ask those who live in the same area I do. They are in a run, not free-range. I don't mind getting medicated feed, but I get the feeling they would be able to eat larger pieces (crumble) better than fine stuff the starter food is. They toss it out of the feeder and seem to have a tough time picking it up. Could be they are just lazy!

Thank ya'll so much.
No hope for recovery. Once the cops found out what year it was and how many miles it had on it they didn't even want the tag or VIN number. I have no idea why I pay taxes. I have the utmost respect for cops that risk their lives for me. However, it seems there are many that feel other aspects of the job are trivial.
sad.png

big_smile.png
hello all SC BYC people. First of all I want to thank all of you for alot of advice on keeping chickens. I have had chickens for 2 wonderful years. Learned everything I know about them from BYC. I live on a 10 acre farm in Newberry County. I have 25 chickens of different breeds. After reading the benefits of guineas, I am thinking of getting some to run around the farm to eat the ants and grasshoppers. What Im concerned about is the cats that run around in the woods. Any advice?
smile.png

Welcome to our SC thread!!
woot.gif

And about the Guineas.......cat tastes just fine to them.
lau.gif

Seriously, I would not put keets out for roaming cats to snare but grown Guineas are a fierce bird to reckon with. Now that Guinea Boy has a girlfriend he has gotten quite bossy and clears away any animal close to his darling. She is becoming very spoiled under his care. The cats certainly move when they see them coming.

My 4 wk old keets are in an open brooder pen but I won't be letting them out to free range for another 4 weeks, at least. Not because of the cats but because they are little and probably not as likely to stay close and easy to catch up at night as my chicks.

Pink I am sorry you lost your baby!
hugs.gif
I know you adored him.

Amy Nadine- I am sorry you lost your car! I hope you get it back soon. I know another DH that likes to leave keys in his vehicle, but that's cause he hopes someone takes it so he doesn't have to work on it any more
gig.gif

I am off to go make sure everyone has plenty of water. It's so hot, even my dogs run out to do their business then race back inside to the AC! No sniffing, no playing, no digging - just zoom out to the nearest tree then zoom back into the house.

amy what about insurance? are they gonna help you get a new car?

My big girls are 17 weeks old this week... and their wattles and combs are getting red'er... when should I put out a nest box for them and hwo will they know to use uit and not just hunker down behind a tree? I hate to lock them in the run with the heaT THE WAY IT IS,, sooy for the caps,,,, finger problems,,,

thanks too for all the kind words about my lafiat's passing..

Pink

Quote:
Pink, 20 weeks is suppose to be the magic number for a pullet to start laying so your girls are getting close. If they are outside they will find places to lay outside. If in the pen/chicken house they will look for a place that makes them feel safe and somewhat hidden. I have actual chicken nest in my hen house I bought off ebay, but I have used milk crates and have heard people talk about using 5 gallon buckets. Some hens will just lay on the ground but I found that most of mine really like their nest.

And remember everyone to look carefully in those lower nest before your stick your hand in there--it is snake season! The nest that I found the snake last week was a lower one my dear hubby put in because my cochins don't like to fly into the higer ones.

Back
Top Bottom