The AMERAUCANA thread

What did you doooo?
I replied to a thread and put my heart into because I love Ameraucanas and the OP while stating that she researched ask why I couldn't use black, blue or lavender to get silvers and I really don't want to blowup on her. So I'm here looking at pretty Ameraucanas.

I replied to a thread and put my heart into because I love Ameraucanas and the OP while stating that she researched ask why I couldn't use black, blue or lavender to get silvers and I really don't want to blowup on her. So I'm here looking at pretty Ameraucanas.

Understandable... if it helps, there is a personality type that, in the face of answers or personal stories, they ask more questions. I think it's meant to feel like more engagement, the same way others (like me) would use personal anecdotes.
I personally feel very serious about questions... like if I ask one I want firm, detailed answers. So I try my best to give that to others. If they ask more questions in response I feel too stressed to continue.

I can see that. I don't show but I've been there when I was a kid. I know the ins and outs and I've spoken with and listened to many breeders. I've tried to pass that on in my answers but I get told they've done that and put in the time researching but the answers they give don't add up to what I consider research so I'm bowing out of that conversation now.

I may be one of those researchers that diggs deeper than I need to tho. Lol. Anyway I was getting frustrated and then I found other posts that bring things in to question.

So, hidding it is. And telling myself to be nice.

Edits for auto correct that had me kidding instead of hidding.

Last edited:
Honey, we've all been there, and you did the right thing. Don't stress, everyone interprets things differently, and some folks just don't want to hear what your preaching... even if it is right🤷 I just step away, and roll on with it

If I could get Ameraucana in this wheaten color I would like it more.

View attachment 3907664

I don't think I like the more solid look. Not quite sure how this one has the colored in hackles. I'm pretty sure she is mix of Phoenix, crested breed and lf modern game because of where her egg came frome.
She is beautiful!
I have to agree. I have had a few barnyard mix hens that came out with a pattern more similar to this hen than true Wheaton. I love patterns like this. I have a hen right now that is a little bit lighter in color than yours with a little more black on tail and wings, and she definitely doesn't have any modern game or phoenix in her. I just hatched one of her eggs which turned out to be a female (thank goodness I at least got one desired pullet:bow). Unfortunately, the pullet is growing in a lot of darker feathers and it makes her look splotchy.:hmm Instead of having the black on her wing and tail, she has blue. She also has a beard. She's not quite the color I like, but she is quite interesting. I considering possibly trying to get some Wheatons and breed them to more of a pattern I like. Buuuuuuuuuut that means I'd be steering away from the standard, and I don't know if I want that.:barnie

She is beautiful!
I have to agree. I have had a few barnyard mix hens that came out with a pattern more similar to this hen than true Wheaton. I love patterns like this. I have a hen right now that is a little bit lighter in color than yours with a little more black on tail and wings, and she definitely doesn't have any modern game or phoenix in her. I just hatched one of her eggs which turned out to be a female (thank goodness I at least got one desired pullet:bow). Unfortunately, the pullet is growing in a lot of darker feathers and it makes her look splotchy.:hmm Instead of having the black on her wing and tail, she has blue. She also has a beard. She's not quite the color I like, but she is quite interesting. I considering possibly trying to get some Wheatons and breed them to more of a pattern I like. Buuuuuuuuuut that means I'd be steering away from the standard, and I don't know if I want that.:barnie
I know the feeling well! It's why I'm keeping a flock of pure to SOP silvers along with my projects.

I searched the thread but found nothing about unusual roosting behavior so here I am. I have two batches of Lavender Ameraucana's. The older is right at 18 weeks the younger group is 8 weeks. Neither group has ever seemed interested in roosting up off the ground. Even though they will perch on the roosts during the day they don't for sleeping. It's either on the ground or the younger ones now seem to have a liking for the nesting boxes. I keep hoping this will prove a temporary thing but...... Anyone else had this problem? How did you address it, successfully?

I searched the thread but found nothing about unusual roosting behavior so here I am. I have two batches of Lavender Ameraucana's. The older is right at 18 weeks the younger group is 8 weeks. Neither group has ever seemed interested in roosting up off the ground. Even though they will perch on the roosts during the day they don't for sleeping. It's either on the ground or the younger ones now seem to have a liking for the nesting boxes. I keep hoping this will prove a temporary thing but...... Anyone else had this problem? How did you address it, successfully?
I have had this issue many many times. I'm pretty sure it's caused buy not having a chicken momma. I ended up either putting them on the bars every night or when they where integrated in the flock the started following them.

Juveniles in general can have this problem but it's more common in juvies lacking confidence - scared ones or poor fliers (my English Orps were the worst).
Somewhere in that pile of little ones is a naughty bird or two, or three. Not actually naughty, just that they don't feel like they can roost. The others who would be more comfortable up on the roost don't want to be without their friends.
Roosting is a natural instinct, so they feel better when they can manage to roost, I've noticed.

Anyway... the solution isn't fun. At least not for me. It involves going out to the coop every night at the perfect time. It has to be dark enough they don't feel like they can move, but just enough light left that they realize when they're up high and balance themselves so they don't fall down. About the same light level as when they all are hunkered in their pile and stop moving around, but where you can still see them without a flashlight.
Once I know the timing is right, I start chucking them up on the roost (ok, lets call it gently placing :p). I aim to get as many up as quickly as I can, because if you form a little group they are more likely to stay put. From time to time one will fall down. I just chuck 'em back up. Once no one is on the ground and it's fully dark, they normally stay put. Rinse, lather, repeat for 1-2 weeks.
It's a lot more fun to have a broody mom raising them, she tells them to come up on the roost and they obey her.

Back
Top Bottom