Welded wire along a wooden fence?

Faithfulground

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2024
Fort Mill, South Carolina
I am in the planning stages of building my first run. I live in a suburban neighborhood that allows chickens. I am planning on putting my run along the side of my 6 foot wooden fence. My question is can I just use the wood fence as one side of my run or do I need to add welded wire to the wood? I know that I need to secure the bottom so nothing can dig under it. Thoughts?

As long as the wooden fence is sturdy without big gaps between the wood slats, it should be fine. It's good that you're planning to add wire underneath to keep things from digging. Will you be adding a roof that attaches to the wooden fence as well? Depending on your location and predator pressure, you may have daytime and nightime aerial predators as well as other animals that can climb a wooden fence.

"Hardware cloth" is normally used rather than "welded wire" for predator proofing a chicken enclosure given the cost advantages.

Your question is better phrased as "Do I need/want to protect my flock from harmful predators & pests?". A wooden fence can be made effective against some predators but few are built with that intent.

More predators will go through or over a fence than under.

can I just use the wood fence as one side of my run or do I need to add welded wire to the wood?
What predators are you trying to stop? Will that wood fence stop them? How big are the openings in the wood fence? In many cases the answer will be that it will work fine but I don't know what that fence looks like.

Are you going to put a roof on your run? I suggest you want to be able to walk in your run without bending over. If you do put a roof the far side of the run may need to be a bit higher so you can comfortably walk in there.

"Hardware cloth" is normally used rather than "welded wire" for predator proofing a chicken enclosure given the cost advantages.
Always good to hear from you Ted but I'll question you on this. I went to Lowe's website and priced a roll of:

100' long 4' high 2x4 welded wire. Cost $108 US

100' long 4' high 1/4" hardware cloth. Cost $160 US.

I don't know about Canada but in the US I don't think cost benefits is why so many people use hardware cloth.

@Faithfulground again what predators are you trying to stop. Properly attached hardware cloth will stop almost any predator though a big dog or big boar raccoon may be able to tear it if it can get a grip. 2x4 welded wire will let snakes, many weasels, rats, and mice through but if it is properly attached should not be torn by anything smaller than a bear.

What predators are you trying to stop? Will that wood fence stop them? How big are the openings in the wood fence? In many cases the answer will be that it will work fine but I don't know what that fence looks like.

Are you going to put a roof on your run? I suggest you want to be able to walk in your run without bending over. If you do put a roof the far side of the run may need to be a bit higher so you can comfortably walk in there.

Always good to hear from you Ted but I'll question you on this. I went to Lowe's website and priced a roll of:

I don't know about Canada but in the US I don't think cost benefits is why so many people use hardware cloth.

@Faithfulground again what predators are you trying to stop. Properly attached hardware cloth will stop almost any predator though a big dog or big boar raccoon may be able to tear it if it can get a grip. 2x4 welded wire will let snakes, many weasels, rats, and mice through but if it is properly attached should not be torn by anything smaller than a bear.
Agreed, it really depends on what you're trying to stop and welded wire is generally cheaper

I use welded wire around my run as big dogs are a concern and the only loss to predators I've had have been from big dogs

As for the question at hand, depends on condition of the fence although it doesn't hurt anything

I'm in the suburbs so the main predator's will probably be neighborhood dogs, and hawks. Of course snakes and possums are always around here in SC.

I am planning on locking them up in a secure coop at night.

I'm in the suburbs so the main predator's will probably be neighborhood dogs, and hawks. Of course snakes and possums are always around here in SC.

I am planning on locking them up in a secure coop at night.
Since you will be locking them up at night, your fence is probably sufficient for daytime predators as long as you are diligent about getting them in before the raccoons come out. Instead of covering my run for hawks and owls, I have instead placed my run in a shaded place with several trees/bushes. With this set-up I haven't ever lost a hen to hawks/owls. My friends who have a much more open run have had issues with hawks.

I paid less than $50Cdn for my last rolls of 19 guage 50' by 4' high 1/2" hc. I believe this is most commonly used for chicken enclosures

The cost of both is directly related to how much metal is used; comparing 2" by 4" to 1/4" by 1/4", almost regardless of guage, is not a reasonable comparison given the purpose.

Any 2" by 4" wire will allow many predators to pass as if it were not there. The OP's question was specific to protecting his birds.

Back
Top Bottom