What colour are my Brahmas?

BlueTheBrahma

Songster
Sep 2, 2021
This is Delta, I originally thought she was silver duckwing when she was a few months old, but now compared to my silver welsummers, she is clearly not just silver. Her breast is not ver salmon, but a tad pinker than the rest of the body, which is more of a fawn/chocolate colour. I either think she must be a chocolate based silver or diluted gold duckwing. Any ideas? (I know duckwing isn’t a standardised colour for Brahmas but I breed them mostly for interesting colours rather than show quality.)
4B58BB45-36A6-49C4-B7EC-35EBDDACD5FA.jpeg

EF6A3A30-E407-404D-8B86-B84C2B5BCB96.jpeg

Younger photos:
51921DAC-58F7-419C-8722-8C0FF19DB299.jpeg
F7AFCDDD-91DE-4AA0-8CF0-A31791972660.jpeg

These are Charlie and Peggy, I think they must be the blue and splash versions of the same pattern. I think they are blue based silver partridge (partridge the allele of black extent not as in partridge Wyandottes which are laced too). Just want confirmation on this please.
96FB106B-0C85-4E85-B5CA-959CEA4DFF1C.jpeg
DEFAECC6-26D1-4493-9457-BCDEE595CC72.jpeg
276EB72F-C635-454A-BC97-A216FFE2F2FE.jpeg

This might be more of a genetics question but in terms of closest named varieties, I'm seeing the first being a salmon, second potentially a blue silver orange, and third a lemon pyle. I do not think the last two are blue and splash versions of each other at all. The last looks to be dominant white which is why the black is leaking through on the hackles. The same thing happened to my dominant white based buff laced girls. :)

The first one appears to be wheaten, duckwing, silver, and autosomal red. Shorthand, you could call it salmon, if you like, though it's really a mixed color.
The second is blue silver partridge with autosomal red (with the pattern gene, but lacking the patterned hackle gene.) The term for this color would be Blue Silver Orange.
The last appears to be splash red partridge. I wouldn't call it a lemon pyle because it doesn't appear to be Columbian, but if Rhodebar Lover, who has more experience in Brahmas than I, says that it appears to be dominant white and not splash I'll say it is paint red partridge.
In short, x2 RhodebarLover on all except the last, since the patterning doesn't indicate Columbian.

The first one appears to be wheaten, duckwing, silver, and autosomal red. Shorthand, you could call it salmon, if you like, though it's really a mixed color.
The second is blue silver partridge with autosomal red (with the pattern gene, but lacking the patterned hackle gene.) The term for this color would be Blue Silver Orange.
The last appears to be splash red partridge. I wouldn't call it a lemon pyle because it doesn't appear to be Columbian, but if Rhodebar Lover, who has more experience in Brahmas than I, says that it appears to be dominant white and not splash I'll say it is paint red partridge.
In short, x2 RhodebarLover on all except the last, since the patterning doesn't indicate Columbian.
I was reading more into lemon pyle and I think I'm wrong. I didn't realize lemon pyle was splash red columbian. I was thinking it had dominant white involved like red pyle in OEGB. My dominant white buff laced also had lots of black flecks in their hackles so I never questioned it. I do think this bird is splash. Are we sure she's not lemon pyle? She looks quite similar to many pictures I'm seeing online. She just looks a bit sun-bleached to me. :)
37C158D4-6DBE-4C13-8B71-EF1A34D5D824.jpeg

A1F619D9-76F7-4416-964D-0187C2DCD6B9.jpeg

Thanks Amer and Rhodebar Lover, to be honest I forgot about wheaten. This all makes sense to me. She always had the paler feathers with a pencil like darker markings on, so I don’t think she is lemon Pyle (I have a lemon Pyle Brahma/lohmann brown). Splash partridge makes sense to me. Thanks for the help.

Also I am breeding them with my rooster, who I’ve posted about before and is either a strangely dark splash or irregularly patterned blue. I think the consensus is splash. Any idea on what colours to expect for the offspring if he is either homozygous or heterozygous (don’t know for certain but he has a lot of leakage in his shoulders)?

Edit: not sure why I asked this, I can work it out myself or check the calculator
35998D0E-53B4-4000-80BE-BDD4E8C03771.jpeg
502DE9D5-78CC-4839-8A4C-EC890BD9CE01.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom