What did you do in the garden today?

I am doing an experiment with a piece of half inch nylon rope I found lying around in my closet. One of my best performing 5-gallon bucket has 1-inch holes drilled around it and I used a Walmart blue bag inside to hold the potting mix. I put another 5-gallon bucket of water with the half inch rope next to it and ran a half inch pipe across with the rope into the air pruning bucket. I filled the Walmart bag 1/4 of the way up with potting soil and wrapped a circle around the middle of the bucket with the rope and filled it up to 3/4 to the top and wrapped another circle around with the rope and planted a Dwarf tomato plant in the middle. I followed the earth box fertilizer method. I made a one cup ring on the top with organic fertilizer, and I mixed granular lime into the potting mix while I was filling the bucket up.

I soaked the air pruning bucket with the dwarf tomato plant with water and I won't water it again. I will only fill the 5-gallon water wicking bucket when it gets used up.

Last edited:
It was supposed to be thundershowers today, so I put my chicken coop painting project on hold for another day.

However, I got a little work done out in the yard. A few days ago, I finished burning out a stump from a tree I cut down last year. I had a little fire ring around the stump and burned junk wood in it last summer, then this summer. Finally, I put my burning barrel on top of the remainder of the stump, loaded it up with some trash wood, and was able to finish it off.

Today, I raked out the ashes and used my blower to clean it off. Ran my magnetic pickup tool over the stuff and picked up any stray nails or screws from the junk wood I burned. After all the metal was out of the hole, I took my mini tiller and started to work up the soil around the fire ring edge. Raked that old loose soil back into the hole to start the backfill. Then I got some good compost and soil mix I had in a cart and filled it level. Put down a bunch of grass seed on the top of the soil, then sprinkled a few more shovel fulls of dirt on top of the seeds.

Looked pretty good when I was done. All set for the rain. But it has not rained yet so tomorrow I might have to water everything. I guess I should have finished painting the chicken coop today. Lost opportunity there, but it really looked like it was going to rain hard any minute. Maybe it will rain later tonight when we are in bed.

:clap It's always fun to finish off a stump burning operation and plant some new grass. Nothing left but a fading memory of the tree and stump. Most stumps are burned out in a few days, but this stump was very big and very hard to burn out. It was left over from last summer. But, little by little, I got it burned out.

Of course, now I am down to only one stump left to burn out, so I might take down a really big dead birch tree that is out in the front yard. I have 2 burning rings and like to keep them busy. Plus, the 55-gallon burning barrel if/when the stump is small enough.

⚠️ But that big dead birch tree puts the fear in me because the trunk is bent, and nobody knows which way it wants to fall. Also, you can see on the base of the trunk that the wood is rotted. It looks like the tree could barber chair if cut down. That's very dangerous. I have cut down many trees over the years, but this one looks like trouble to me, and I don't know if I have the skill to take it down safely. Frankly, it can fall in any direction, and it would not matter, as long as it doesn't fall on me. But I don't like the looks of that rotted wood going into the trunk and have seen too many YouTube videos of the barber chair tree trunk kicking back on the guy with the chainsaw. So, I'm taking my time and studying this one particular dead tree.

I released the chickens to wreak havoc. I’ve given up it’s too hot here. I would have to soak my garden multiple times a day. Everything stopped producing once the temp hit over 105° and pretty much stayed there. Hoping next year will be different.
Fighting it here too. still felt like 109 after sunset.
Waking up each morning to 81 degrees and dense fog.
The garden is not liking it at all.
The deluca tomatoes are pretty much dying back. None of them are pollinating in this heat, They are ripening when it cools at night at about 80, but great day in the morning. Like this until Friday.

0B496329-1A07-491E-83ED-9D52BB2EE499.jpeg
Meet Percy. He arrived around 11:00 this morning. Everyone is doing great. He weighed in at 9 pounds 3 ounces! 😳

Let us know how it goes. I will read so much more about your experience.
I am doing an experiment with a piece of half inch polyester rope I found lying around in my closet. One of my best performing 5-gallon bucket has 2-inch holes drilled around it and I used a Walmart blue bag inside to hold the potting mix. I put another 5-gallon bucket of water with the half inch rope next to it and ran a half inch pipe across with the rope into the air pruning bucket. I filled the Walmart bag 1/4 of the way up with potting soil and wrapped a circle around the middle of the bucket with the rope and filled it up to 3/4 to the top and wrapped another circle around with the rope and planted a Dwarf tomato plant in the middle. I followed the earth box fertilizer method. I made a one cup ring on the top with organic fertilizer, and I mixed granular lime into the potting mix while I was filling the bucket up.

I soaked the air pruning bucket with the dwarf tomato plant with water and I won't water it again. I will only fill the 5-gallon water wicking bucket when it gets used up.

Back
Top Bottom