What did you do in the garden today?

Oh they get lost all the time-storm chasers. Especially when they come here from places that have non stop cell service. They get lost by me all the time because this is well service drops. I find them in the road, in the service road, on the driveway. They park and try to figure out where their service has led them, and try to figure out where to go next and how. LOL They literally ask, 'where am I and how do I get to XXX"
Cracks me UP.
Anywho....anyone that wants to see more Nebraska tornado video, YouTube is packed with them today. That shows you how thick they were here yesterday and today.
That said, I'm going to go put 10 miles on the bike before we start all over again. today I WILL remember to eat meals before the weather starts.
No gardening except watering tomato seedlings. I've lost about 10 of the 80 due to a fast wilt. Weird.
People have pretty much forgotten about paper roadmaps. You'd think storm chasers would carry them as backup to their phones.

I did some recreational storm chasing when I lived in Hutchinson, KS. I drove around for hours looking for funnel clouds and tornadoes the day after Greensburg got wiped off the map back in 2007. There were LOTS of vehicles on the country backroads that day, mostly cars and trucks, but also a couple vans with satellite dishes on top. I saw a few funnel clouds that day but none touched the ground.

Oh they get lost all the time-storm chasers. Especially when they come here from places that have non stop cell service. They get lost by me all the time because this is well service drops. I find them in the road, in the service road, on the driveway. They park and try to figure out where their service has led them, and try to figure out where to go next and how. LOL They literally ask, 'where am I and how do I get to XXX"
Cracks me UP.
Anywho....anyone that wants to see more Nebraska tornado video, YouTube is packed with them today. That shows you how thick they were here yesterday and today.
That said, I'm going to go put 10 miles on the bike before we start all over again. today I WILL remember to eat meals before the weather starts.
No gardening except watering tomato seedlings. I've lost about 10 of the 80 due to a fast wilt. Weird.

People have pretty much forgotten about paper roadmaps. You'd think storm chasers would carry them as backup to their phones.
It just sounds so scary to me - to be lost on a dead end, dirt road while a tornado is coming with no cell service or map! LOL I'm such a chicken I guess, I'd be hiding in the basement instead.

Got the last 2 beds cleaned up & planted with nasturtiums & cosmos. Need straw put down. Got some borage planted in the outside perimeter of the garden. Tried to flood out what ever critter is still living here (old pic from last fall, bed is cleaned but critter is still there). The dog really wants in there to get whatever it is but the bed is all ready to plant so no can do Patrick.
IMG_20231022_104557113_HDR.jpg

It just sounds so scary to me - to be lost on a dead end, dirt road while a tornado is coming with no cell service or map! LOL I'm such a chicken I guess, I'd be hiding in the basement instead.

Got the last 2 beds cleaned up & planted with nasturtiums & cosmos. Need straw put down. Got some borage planted in the outside perimeter of the garden. Tried to flood out what ever critter is still living here (old pic from last fall, bed is cleaned but critter is still there). The dog really wants in there to get whatever it is but the bed is all ready to plant so no can do Patrick.
View attachment 3813726
OH, you're growing puppies! Here, I thought they came up head first.
-------
OMG there's a woodpecker in my roof gutter. That's got to stop, right now.

You would think.
But many just DRIVE and if you don't know where you are, a map isn't going to help you.
Honestly, many out there don't have a brain in their heads anyway, there out there for the clicks and the thrill, no matter what they claim about public safety. When a tornado is in open country, radar can see it, so can the farmers that call them in.
When it's in a populated are, everyone can see it, and they know where it is. Heck, even the TV stations here yesterday were just using the freeway cameras LOL.
I saw too many fly by video people blowing stop signs, driving on the wrong side of the road, illegal passing, dangerous U-turns, driving on the shoulder to pass, etc yesterday, all on their own videos that it just makes me so ...grrrrrr
Personal rant over.
---
tomatoes almost to the point of potting up into the next size cup. The wilt seems to be predominately the Federle tomatoes, maybe it a bad genetic bit. who knows.

Finally have some peaches on my tree! And apples, which came as a surprise! One (the sheepnose) has definite baby apples on it, the second (Dry Creek pippin) has some likely apples starting, the third (early transparent) was hit really hard with cedar apple rust last year and is still recovering so no blossoms this year. It is looking very healthy though so I have a good feeling for next year.

Planted a bunch of thornless blackberries last year, they're still establishing, but the wild blackberries are doing just fine :p. Found a bunch of native trees growing, currently in the process of thinning them out to save a few of the hackberries and mulberries, as well as a wild grape vine. Have a pecan tree to plant too.

The only other food gardening I'm doing this year is some onions and garlic that sprouted in my fridge (whoops).

Thought I had lost one of my hosta varieties but it suddenly appeared yesterday. Guess it was just sleepy. The Persian shield didn't regrow (it doesn't always in my zone though), and my purple heart and small rose bush got trampled by the crew that replaced the siding on my house back in the fall so I've got to replace those at some point.

FINALLY got some more rain overnight! 👏

Of course this morning I saw THIS in the garden on my peaches.

20240427_092352.jpg
20240427_092305.jpg
20240427_091846.jpg

Boooooooo! 👎 Gummiosis. I'll have to spray again on Monday after the rain stops. I wonder how many I'm going to lose because of it...

Rain stopped for a bit this morning & afternoon so I let everyone out to free range on some fresh grass. Storms coming back in later this afternoon.

View attachment 3813726
That view!!! 😆 🤣 😂

Gotta love dogs...no modesty

Back
Top Bottom