What is wrong with these feathers?

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I hatched some Lavender Orpingtons for the first time this year (English). I know their reputation... but color availability was limited at the time and they only had lavenders, so I thought I'd give them a chance. They came from a good local breeder. 6 hatched and are 9 weeks old now. Looking and acting healthy except for their feathers. They look really raggedy in the back half of the body, especially the tail, but the breeder says it's not the shredder gene, says it doesn't look like that and it must be something in the environment. Which is odd because I've raised several generations of English Orps of different colors in that same coop and run (plus other breeds), fed them the same feed, etc. same environment, but this batch of lavenders is the only one that shows the raggedy feathers. It looks like the feathers are too narrow, like a leaf that has dried and shriveled up, with a slight curl to it. The chicks were hatched and raised with the flock by two broodies, and were integrated from the start, so no bullying or picking on their feathers by the flock. Everybody eats Purina Flock Raiser and is looking healthy. It was 5 males and 1 female, and last night I processed all the males because they'd started crowing. All healthy on the inside except they all had one testicle each, which I thought was odd and kinda hilarious :lol: First time I've ever seen that. Not sure if it's related to anything...

So, what do you guys think is up with those feathers? All of the chicks had feathers like that, though the boys were worse than the girl.

1659238397733.png
1659238419747.png

1659238556340.png

Frizzle cross?
She would be completely frizzled then
I hatched some Lavender Orpingtons for the first time this year (English). I know their reputation... but color availability was limited at the time and they only had lavenders, so I thought I'd give them a chance. They came from a good local breeder. 6 hatched and are 9 weeks old now. Looking and acting healthy except for their feathers. They look really raggedy in the back half of the body, especially the tail, but the breeder says it's not the shredder gene, says it doesn't look like that and it must be something in the environment. Which is odd because I've raised several generations of English Orps of different colors in that same coop and run (plus other breeds), fed them the same feed, etc. same environment, but this batch of lavenders is the only one that shows the raggedy feathers. It looks like the feathers are too narrow, like a leaf that has dried and shriveled up, with a slight curl to it. The chicks were hatched and raised with the flock by two broodies, and were integrated from the start, so no bullying or picking on their feathers by the flock. Everybody eats Purina Flock Raiser and is looking healthy. It was 5 males and 1 female, and last night I processed all the males because they'd started crowing. All healthy on the inside except they all had one testicle each, which I thought was odd and kinda hilarious :lol: First time I've ever seen that. Not sure if it's related to anything...

So, what do you guys think is up with those feathers? All of the chicks had feathers like that, though the boys were worse than the girl.

View attachment 3206229 View attachment 3206230
View attachment 3206233
Looks like she was out in the rain and just really needs a good molt. She probably has the shredder gene too and it just aggravates that. My Wyandotte is similarly rough right now because the idiot loves the rain

She would be completely frizzled then

Looks like she was out in the rain and just really needs a good molt. She probably has the shredder gene too and it just aggravates that. My Wyandotte is similarly rough right now because the idiot loves the rain
No, that’s not wet, they all look like that all the time. The run is mostly covered, and we’re in a drought anyway, so I don’t think these chicks have ever been rained on. It will be more than a year before they have a good molt - they are only 2 months old, and their adult feathers are still coming in. Looking at older photos of them, they seem to have always looked like that 😞

No, that’s not wet, they all look like that all the time. The run is mostly covered, and we’re in a drought anyway, so I don’t think these chicks have ever been rained on. It will be more than a year before they have a good molt - they are only 2 months old, and their adult feathers are still coming in. Looking at older photos of them, they seem to have always looked like that 😞
No, I mean they get wet, constantly 😑, and they just don't stay nice and together anymore. I'll try to get a pic of my Wyandotte tomorrow to show what I mean better

Back
Top Bottom