What's Your Favorite Recipe You Could Give A College Student to Make?

riss

Free Ranging
Feb 10, 2021
Kalamazoo, MI
Hey everyone. I just found out I could cook!(and have it be edible) Problem is I don't know what to make. Lots of times I'm having to go out to fast food places to get a meal cause I straight up don't know what to make which is starting to take a toll on my bank account :oops: I love to cook and bake and would love to make recipes out of the BYC cookbook but sadly I don't have one.

Any suggestions on what I could make that you loved and how you make it. Anything from the book would be a bonus 😄

Don't be shy and help a student out.

Hey everyone. I just found out I could cook!(and have it be edible) Problem is I don't know what to make. Lots of times I'm having to go out to fast food places to get a meal cause I straight up don't know what to make which is starting to take a toll on my bank account :oops: I love to cook and bake and would love to make recipes out of the BYC cookbook but sadly I don't have one.

Any suggestions on what I could make that you loved and how you make it. Anything from the book would be a bonus 😄

Don't be shy and help a student out.
Are you in a dorm? Do you have access to an oven, cooktop, microwave etc.

I eat a LOT of rice. It's cheap, filling, and mixes with a lot of things. Here's my basic stir fried rice recipe.

3/4-1 cup of cooked rice (amount is not critical)
2 eggs, beaten
1-2 tablespoons of oil (butter tends to burn)

Any or some or all of the following:
Chopped onions, minced garlic, spinach, sliced tomato, leftover cooked vegetables, other things I can't think of right now.

Heat the oil in a medium frying pan on medium heat. Add onions and cook until the onions are translucent.

Add the rice, and spread it around so that it's in an even layer in the pan. Since it's already cooked, you can just heat it, or let it fry a bit and get a little crispy. Turn the heat down to low. If you are using garlic, add it now. When the garlic is semi translucent too, pour the eggs over, and stir everything together.

When the eggs are almost set, add sliced tomato and spinach, and any cooked vegetables you want to add. Cover, and let cook until the spinach wilts and everything is hot.

I like to put parmesan cheese on this.

I have used left over spaghetti sauce in place of tomatoes. That's what this is so great for: using up left over bits of stuff to make a nice, filling meal.

Grease a 9×9 baking dish.
Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, scramble 9 eggs.

Add 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream.

Add 1 cup diced veggies of your choice. Peppers, onions, tomatoes, spinach, cubed squash, peas, whatever's hanging out in the fridge.

Add 1 cup cooked meat. Again, whatever you like. Ground beef, chicken, ham, turkey, sausage, bacon.

Add 2 cups cubed bread or hashbrowns or diced cooked potatoes.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Pour into baking dish and pop it into the oven for 45 minutes or until center is set.

You can also add shredded cheese or goat cheese. 1 cup of cooked wild rice could take the place of the bread or potatoes. The combinations are endless.

A favorite around here is tomato, ground beef, and a packet of taco seasoning.

If you want something sweet and easy, these are good:

Peanut Butter Cookies
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup peanut butter (either crunchy or smooth)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix it all together. Put tablespoon size lumps on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake at 325* for about 14 minutes. Done!

I like to add mini chocolate chips to the dough sometimes. Or put mini peanut butter cups on top of each cookie as soon as the cookies come out of the oven.

Back
Top Bottom