What's Your Favorite Recipe You Could Give A College Student to Make?

Funny this thread came up today, I was just making something and thinking it might work for you @riss.

Frittatas are simple to make.

Makes an easy meal and uses up extra eggs!
I just looked up the picture to this and wow does that look delicious! It would definitely clear out the fridge of extra eggs for sure! I'll have to make that and have my parents try some as well

Nothing new since I was here last. I just made this recipe, so I will add it here. This is for homemade “bisquick”, if you don’t want to buy the boxed kind.

Makes 2 1/2 cups mix. Double, triple or quadruple if you go through a lot. I have no idea why they made it for 2 1/2 cups, because that leaves an odd half cup of mix leftover. I’m thinking maybe they expect you to double it.

2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 t salt
2 t sugar
1/4 cup shortening

Combine the dry ingredients, then add the shortening and cut it in with a pastry blender. (You can use two knives if you don’t have a pastry blender.) You want to get the shortening finely chopped and coated with the flour.

Store at room temperature in a tightly covered container. Use in any recipe that calls for Bisquick.

To make biscuits, preheat oven to 450F. Add 2/3 cup milk to 2 cups of mix. Stir until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface and knead gently about 10 times. Pat or roll it to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 2-3” round cookie cutter, or use a canning jar ring or a glass. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Touching for soft sides, apart for crunchier biscuits. Knead the scraps together and re roll and cut until all used up. (Instead of cut out biscuits, you can also drop large spoonfuls right from the bowl onto the baking sheet without rolling or kneading.)

Bake at 450F for 9-10 minutes.

ETA: I had to look up how long you can store the mix. It was from this website and it says up to 4 months: https://chocolatechocolateandmore.com/homemade-biscuit-mix/

@riss I remembered these breakfast cookies that are easy to make and filling (like a beefed up granola bar): #32,677

That's a fun recipe to play around with because you can switch the ingredients up lots of different ways. And it uses up those last 2 bananas that always seem to get over-ripe before I eat them.

Peg Bracken's cookbook
The I Hate to Cook Book! I love that book! That recipe is called Cockeyed Cake, IIRC.

The premise of the book is that there are women (it's from the 60s, after all) who hate to cook. So she came up with recipes in various categories to help get through that chore. It is also very witty and funny. If you find it, it is worth buying.

Back
Top Bottom