Wing sexing day olds

Maggiechrisman

Chirping
Apr 25, 2023
Hi all! I have 8 babies that came out of the incubator yesterday-hatched the 31st of May.
I’ve heard females wing feathers start to develop before the males? That’s the general consensus it seems in the FB groups anyways lol.
I’m attaching pictures of the babies. Please excuse their sores. I didn’t secure the bin well enough and one of my teen Pullets got in and pecked them over their food :/ I was treating the wounds and figured I’d check the wing feathers at the same time. I’d appreciate any input! Also, they’re barnyard mixes I know 2 are Mille fleur (one crossed with silkie) and one polish. The rest are crossed with my EE roo.

Bonus pics of 3 of my polish crosses that I’m loving the crests on! Any sexing guesses on them is welcome. I’m pretty sure the mainly black one is a roo and the other 2 are pullets but interested to see what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_5373.jpeg
    IMG_5373.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5374.jpeg
    IMG_5374.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5375.jpeg
    IMG_5375.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5376.jpeg
    IMG_5376.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5377.jpeg
    IMG_5377.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5378.jpeg
    IMG_5378.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5379.jpeg
    IMG_5379.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5380.jpeg
    IMG_5380.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5381.jpeg
    IMG_5381.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5382.jpeg
    IMG_5382.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5384.jpeg
    IMG_5384.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5385.jpeg
    IMG_5385.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5394.jpeg
    IMG_5394.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5396.jpeg
    IMG_5396.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5397.jpeg
    IMG_5397.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Make your best guess on each based feathering and put a spot of color on either the roos or the hens ( or use a leg band). Make a note on a calendar so you don't forget. In a short time you will see if you guessed right.

Man there’s so many people so sure of themselves about this 😂
Who me?! :oops: (Partly poking fun at the truth)

I'm not sure of anything.. and edited my post to reflect that all posts made are according to my current understanding at the time they were posted.

Anyways.. it was useful information.. from an otherwise reliable source.. having read other reliable sources that confirm.. the one I linked appeared to be the most user friendly for reference purposes.

To be fair, just yesterday.. I was watching a veterinary program called "Critter Fixers" on youtube, made for entertainment purposes not educational ones.. and even the vetrinarian was "wing feather sexing" pure bred chicks for one of their clients. Most he ended up stating were male.. and the client said oh no I cant keep them.. Though they do follow up on some patients before the end of the episodes, there was no follow up on the genders to see how accurate he was. I didn't catch if the chicks were supposed to be straight run or sexed either. I felt a little bad for the kid.

Misinformation is everywhere. Many folks run with headlines while not following the details. Seems details almost always matter! Also, we all make mistakes.

Congrats on your babies, btw! :celebrate

Last edited:
Who me?! :oops: (Partly poking fun at the truth)

I'm not sure of anything.. and edited my post to reflect that all posts made are according to my current understanding at the time they were posted.

Anyways.. it was useful information.. from an otherwise reliable source.. having read other reliable sources that confirm.. the one I linked appeared to be the most user friendly for reference purposes.

To be fair, just yesterday.. I was watching a veterinary program called "Critter Fixers" on youtube, made for entertainment purposes not educational ones.. and even the vetrinarian was "wing feather sexing" pure bred chicks for one of their clients. Most he ended up stating were male.. and the client said oh no I cant keep them.. Though they do follow up on some patients before the end of the episodes, there was no follow up on the genders to see how accurate he was. I didn't catch if the chicks were supposed to be straight run or sexed either. I felt a little bad for the kid.

Misinformation is everywhere. Many folks run with headlines while not following the details. Seems details almost always matter! Also, we all make mistakes.

Congrats on your babies, btw! :celebrate
Haha thank you! I appreciate your input and the helpful article :)

Hi all! I have 8 babies that came out of the incubator yesterday-hatched the 31st of May.
I’ve heard females wing feathers start to develop before the males? That’s the general consensus it seems in the FB groups anyways lol.
I’m attaching pictures of the babies. Please excuse their sores. I didn’t secure the bin well enough and one of my teen Pullets got in and pecked them over their food :/ I was treating the wounds and figured I’d check the wing feathers at the same time. I’d appreciate any input! Also, they’re barnyard mixes I know 2 are Mille fleur (one crossed with silkie) and one polish. The rest are crossed with my EE roo.

Bonus pics of 3 of my polish crosses that I’m loving the crests on! Any sexing guesses on them is welcome. I’m pretty sure the mainly black one is a roo and the other 2 are pullets but interested to see what you think!
I'm learning: it's not that the hens wing feathers come in faster, its that they have longer wings usually multi layered reaching closer to the tail as to cup babies etc where as the roos have very short tucked to the body single layer wings ;)

Back
Top Bottom