YO GEORGIANS! :)

Hope everyone is having an amazing Holiday Season! This isn't completely chicken related, but it is...I am thinking about adding rabbits in 2017. Does anyone have rabbit experience and would love to share some advice? Can rabbits and chickens coexist, or are they better separated? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you, and happy New Year!!

Look here what I got now...

Got 3 does and a buck. Beautiful meat producing little things. If you can call 12 pounds little.

And in case you're wondering, I'm still picking mushrooms in December.
I need to come mushroom hunting with you to learn. My son got me some books on it for Christmas, nice family, when I read the post before I got to the weight I was expecting to see deer, lol my e-mail doesn't show pics from BYC.

Hope everyone is having an amazing Holiday Season! This isn't completely chicken related, but it is...I am thinking about adding rabbits in 2017. Does anyone have rabbit experience and would love to share some advice? Can rabbits and chickens coexist, or are they better separated? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you, and happy New Year!!
The only thing I know about chickens and rabbits is you gotta make sure the rabbits can't get into the chicken poop or the chickens can poop on the rabbits cage, the chicken poop has something that can make the rabbits sick and die. Good luck with your new venture

I've been studying up on meat rabbits and had planned on starting in the spring. But, I found a breeder who was selling out and went ahead and bought some.
The Salatin's keep rabbits in cages in a hoop house in the winter and the chickens run loose under the cages. No problems there, as the chickens keep the rabbit poop and straw/shavings scratched up.
Rabbits are very susceptible to disease and parasites. Some folks do colonies or large rabbit pens, but I think from a sanitation standpoint, elevated cages are better.
Like Kat said, don't let the chickens poop on the rabbits.

I'd be glad to talk with more about it.

Thanks for the info! I am in the extremely early stages right now. I am thinking elevated pens as well. Are there pages like this one that discuss rabbits? What are some categories or things to think about in my planning?

I've been studying up on meat rabbits and had planned on starting in the spring. But, I found a breeder who was selling out and went ahead and bought some.
The Salatin's keep rabbits in cages in a hoop house in the winter and the chickens run loose under the cages. No problems there, as the chickens keep the rabbit poop and straw/shavings scratched up.
Rabbits are very susceptible to disease and parasites. Some folks do colonies or large rabbit pens, but I think from a sanitation standpoint, elevated cages are better. 
Like Kat said, don't let the chickens poop on the rabbits.

I'd be glad to talk with more about it.

I need to come mushroom hunting with you to learn.  My  son got me some books on it for Christmas, nice family, when I read the post before I got to the weight I was expecting to see deer, lol my e-mail doesn't show pics from BYC.

The only thing I know about chickens and rabbits is you gotta make sure the rabbits can't get into the chicken poop or the chickens can poop on the rabbits cage, the chicken poop has something that can make the rabbits sick and die.  Good luck with your new venture

I didn't know that. We have a rabbit that lives in the backyard with the chickens. Has since the beginning of the summer.

Back
Top Bottom