6wk old duck attacked by opossum. Several injuries!!! How do I help him

TequellaC

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
I’m new on here but I’m hoping y’all can offer some insight or help at this hour! I can’t sleep and feel helpless!

We have 2 Perkin ducks that are about 6wks old. The male, Jack, is already quite large. We put them out in a large birdcage turned on its side to get some sun and at night we bring them in the cage in our garage. (We are working on getting a better arrangement for our chicks and ducks.)
It was later then normal that my husband went out to get them and bring them in (like 10ish) and an opossum was in the cage and had already killed our female duck and he thought Jack was dead at first. He killed the opossum and brought Jack in the garage.
So far this is the wounds I’ve assessed: 2 punctures to his head, bill has several but 2 look to be the worst and it’s swelled up a bit already. He has a very noticeable swollen area by the left side of his head by that puncture.
His back close to the base of his neck and right wing has a good chunk missing. I put him in the bath and tried to rinse off and assess everything and found another “chunk” missing from his chest area😭
Idk what to do for him
I put chlorhexidine on the open back and chest wounds and put a towel down over his straw (I didn’t want it poking his opened wounds) and he has a heat lamp.
I’ve checked on him several times and he is resting and breathing seems ok, but his heart is pounding and I’m really worried!
I’m hoping he makes it through the night.
Anyone have any other advice? This is my 1st experience with an animal attack.

Most likely he is in shock so keeping him comfortable and warm is the best thing for him. Once he is through the shock have the warm water with the electrolytes and sugar and B complex and offer him some. He may begin to eat this morning too.
If you can get some pictures of his wounds? If at all possible clip the feathers back away from the wounds so that when they close up the feathers aren't caught in the wounds and cause infection. This will help with treatment also.
So very sorry for your loss. :hugs

I’m new on here but I’m hoping y’all can offer some insight or help at this hour! I can’t sleep and feel helpless!

We have 2 Perkin ducks that are about 6wks old. The male, Jack, is already quite large. We put them out in a large birdcage turned on its side to get some sun and at night we bring them in the cage in our garage. (We are working on getting a better arrangement for our chicks and ducks.)
It was later then normal that my husband went out to get them and bring them in (like 10ish) and an opossum was in the cage and had already killed our female duck and he thought Jack was dead at first. He killed the opossum and brought Jack in the garage.
So far this is the wounds I’ve assessed: 2 punctures to his head, bill has several but 2 look to be the worst and it’s swelled up a bit already. He has a very noticeable swollen area by the left side of his head by that puncture.
His back close to the base of his neck and right wing has a good chunk missing. I put him in the bath and tried to rinse off and assess everything and found another “chunk” missing from his chest area😭
Idk what to do for him
I put chlorhexidine on the open back and chest wounds and put a towel down over his straw (I didn’t want it poking his opened wounds) and he has a heat lamp.
I’ve checked on him several times and he is resting and breathing seems ok, but his heart is pounding and I’m really worried!
I’m hoping he makes it through the night.
Anyone have any other advice? This is my 1st experience with an animal attack.

Attachments

• IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2030.jpeg
    IMG_2030.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 11
Give him sips of water with electrolytes or a little sugar. B complex vitamins are good as well. Offer food up to his bill. Continue cleaning his wounds with chlorhexidene and rinsing with water, dry, then apply plain antibiotic ointment. Pictures of the wounds might be helpful. @Miss Lydia is helpful with ducks.
Thank you! I’ll had some vitamin’s to his water today

This was him this morning.
Not a good picture but I didn’t want to disturb him yet. I had to get my kids to school and youngest to daycare before I can do anything.
Both eyes are swollen shut this morning. But he drank his whole quart of water last night so I want to take that as a good sign

Attachments

• IMG_2045.jpeg
    IMG_2045.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom