Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Very nice birds! I can easily see why you want to find some.

I don't ship, so can't help. I think I remember that I got my start from Pips and Peeps. They have great bantam wheaten. They tend to be sold out way in advance. However, they are worth the wait.
Thanks, I remember seeing her on here a long time ago. It looks like shes been inactive for a while and her website is no longer available. I might try emailing her.

Thanks Alaskan

color ad M K  Gilbert.jpg

Last edited:
I applaud all of you amazing people for working with such a magnificent breed. :) I am in awe.
As I know breeders like to share their birds, I am sharing a thread I created seeking pictures, with your approval, to use them on a website I am creating that serves to compile the current standards of all recognized breeds and varieties in compliance with current copyright protection. The standards will be based from the SOP.
Please follow the required format if you wish to enter a photo. It is not guaranteed that your photo will be chosen. I will choose the clearest photo available.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/submit-your-photos-standard-bred-chickens.1277248/

Ok, so I finally have pictures of these moderately questionable wheatens to share. (Took me long enough amirite?) As far as I can tell they're all blue wheatens. They seem to have a bit of the wrong posture, like not tall enough with that tail lift? Also, the legs (pearly) and the color on the black/blue parts of the hens tails is lacking. Otherwise they look great? :lau Idk mans.... I'd love some thoughts people have on their quality. They're so pretty, especially the roosters, and they're surprisingly chunky size-wise. But I'm not so experienced.

@JudysMuscovy here's those photos you've wanted! Click for full size ofc.
Ameraucanahen1.png Ameraucanahen4.png Ameraucanahen3.png Ameraucanas1.png Ameraucanahenrun.png
The ladies. There's 3 of them. One was hanging out with the roos on the compost pile, the other two were by the ivy patch...

Thanks, Alaskan. That's how I felt, but I also thought there was hardly any black/blue on the hens tails. It's kind of hard to see because they're blues, but it's very subtle and soft. The boys have such lovely color and soft darker lacing on the edge of the feathers.

Any thoughts on stature? I'm used to ameraucanas having more dramatic/longer looking necks than that and taller/higher set tails.

What color are the legs supposed to be? If you have any pullets that you won't be breeding let me know--we drive though Ohio every summer and I would LOVE a wheaten hen!(or two)

Dark, like a slate grey. This is a good/ok example of what the legs are supposed to be:
Oldguard2.png

This was my old rooster who got got by a coon this past year. :( I have some of his hen children who are mixed right now. I just started them integrating into the flock while I try to source a nicer set of wheatens.
I may have one hen to rehome this year, but that's because she's laying brown eggs not blue. :p If you'd like one, I would be happy to sell her to you. I may be using her to test roosters for homo/heterozygous blue egg genes.

Thanks, Alaskan. That's how I felt, but I also thought there was hardly any black/blue on the hens tails. It's kind of hard to see because they're blues, but it's very subtle and soft. The boys have such lovely color and soft darker lacing on the edge of the feathers.

Any thoughts on stature? I'm used to ameraucanas having more dramatic/longer looking necks than that and taller/higher set tails.
How much dark is in the hens depends on the breeder... varies a great deal.

So for that, I am eh... whatever. I prefer mine lighter actually. Less risk of shafting on the hackles feathers when they are lighter.

A bit higher tail set would be nice... but none were standing perfectly for you... and they are pullets too. So, to be honest I am not sure as to their shape.

And no, I wouldn't want longer necks.

Not sure i have good photos of mine either. Hard to get them to stand right.

Here are a few of mine. And yes, all of mine DO have beards.... but some get eaten. :rolleyes:

Mine are bantam, all are black wheaten.
20180411_114145.jpg
20180730_142029.jpg
20180411_124532.jpg
20170804_203825-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom