Appropriate pricing for Call Ducks

Do you have FB? I find that almost all of the chicken sales, and backyard breeders are selling on poultry groups there. I saw shocked when I joined to sell some of my own birds to find how many other people were selling.
If you do have FB, I would join your local poultry groups and see what others are selling them for. I find that fun breeds like calls go like hot cakes on my local FB. Not sure what price, but I may have a few links for getting some myself so we'll see what they charge me.
I do appreciate the help though!! The buy/sell group that I'm in is on FB by the way.

I am in my local poultry buy/sell group, and I sold a previous ducking for $20, but it was 7 weeks old. I've only seen one other person selling calls, and it was an adult drake. He didn't get much interest from what I saw.
I would start at $20 then, especially since calls are going to be higher demand, and you put so much time into them.

Let's see what the other ladies have to say. I haven't sold any myself yet. Been watching a group of PQ ducklings on my local CL for a while though. They started at $15. They're not selling.

Have you checked your local CL for prices in your area?
Nothing is selling here either.
Darn, that's how much I had been considering for these guys... I see purebred day-old ones from the big hatcheries are $9 each. As you surely know, these guys are hard to hatch! I've only been getting 2-3 per dozen even with humidity and temp carefully controlled. I don't want to sell them for too cheap given how much work went into them and how few are available for sale around me.
I usually ask 10$ for unsexed ducklings. If I raise them long enough to determine sex I ask 20 for ducks and 10 for Drakes.
However I usually will also give price cuts to anyone buying more than a trio especially if they are willing to take multiple Drakes.

This year with feed being so high I listed mine initially at 15$ each for the first two ducklings and 10 each after that. I'm seeing 15$ average prices around here from other sellers.
But I've already lowered that price on my listing to 25$ for the first two then 10 each after. I have not had many inquiries at all. I assume folks are anticipating the rising cost of feed.

On a side note, usually large hatcheries that sell a bit cheaper require you to buy more than just 2 or 3.
I would start at $20 then, especially since calls are going to be higher demand, and you put so much time into them.
That's probably way too much for pet quality call ducklings, I won't give that much not knowing if I'd end up with all Drakes or not.
Sometimes you can't even give a Drake away.

I bought my baby girl for $15, but as a duck mama, I knew how much work had gone in to hatching this one little duck. She also had to be assisted.

I wonder if folks in your group don't really know much about the breed? Calls are super trendy atm (I hate when living things are "trendy"). I'm rather surprised they aren't selling.

Where are you located?

Unfortunately just because they're not common doesn't mean high demand. It might mean there's no interest
Very true.
I've had no problem selling in the past I just think this year between economy and bad weather in our area plus people were unsure if waterfowl would be allowed at shows.. it's just been a bad combo for dux selling.

I am lowering my price to 12$ each.
Any less than that I may as well put them in my freezer.

I bought my baby girl for $15, but as a duck mama, I knew how much work had gone in to hatching this one little duck. She also had to be assisted.

I wonder if folks in your group don't really know much about the breed? Calls are super trendy atm (I hate when living things are "trendy"). I'm rather surprised they aren't selling.

Where are you located?
I'm in Missouri

I think everything is just more expensive here in California. $15-$20 is pretty standard here. I've seen Scovies go for $25+. No one sells Calls here. That's why I jumped at the chance to get my lil Cheddar. And she's just white, not anything fancy.
20220717_195707.jpg

I think everything is just more expensive here in California. $15-$20 is pretty standard here. I've seen Scovies go for $25+. No one sells Calls here. That's why I jumped at the chance to get my lil Cheddar. And she's just white, not anything fancy.
View attachment 3190300
Yeah I bet they are pricier where you are.

Back
Top Bottom