BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Pics
I only own Silkies so cannot compare other breeds but I will say it varies hugely between each individual chicken. Some of mine were not friendly at all, super skittish. Some are born super friendly and no need to handle them daily to get them friendly they are just that way from hatch it's their personality. Even if I haven't picked them up in months they will happily enjoy a pat and sleep in my lap, just individual character 🤷
I do thin out my flock to breed only nice personality characteristics but I still get the odd one that bolts away when they see me, all others see me coming and race to greet me. Only friendly boys get to stick around... I only have 1 rooster, now.

All of my hens are friendly with an exception of my Serama and she is an aggressive little brat (still love her dearly). Overall, my Bantams are more friendly than any of standard/large fowl. I think I'm going to have to go with the majority and say Bantam Cochins though. Silkies, Dutch Bantams, and OEGB's are also tied in there. In my opinion a friendly chicken is one that enjoys interacting with people, oftentimes seeking out their human for that affection. All of the breeds I mentioned are extremely affectionate in that way, in my experience.

Easter eggers, cuz they love to be hand fed and held. Not just this one, but everyone I've ever had.

Attachments

• 1785781955018292.jpg
    1785781955018292.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 2
Silkies are the friendliest breed they get along easily and they have a cute personality and they Always never run away Articles say that they are pretty and profuse plumage, love of a snuggle, and their super sweet nature; silkies are one of our favourite breeds- what’s not to love? Whether you’re on the silkie bandwagon or not, by the end of this article we can assure you that you’ll have some lovely new silkie additions in your backyard flock quicker than we can say brilliant beautiful bantams!

I'm going to say Australorp and a mix Australorp/ black star because because they are very docile. We have one Australorp who lets up just pick her up and will sit with you. She rarely runs away from us when we go to pick her up. The other is a mix black star/Australorp and she has quite the personality. She follows us if we go out to see her, sometime up on our deck. She comes when we call her too. She has jumped in my lap before. Very sweet birds.
Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure mine would peck my eye out if given the chance lmao, it's so funny how yours can be so sweet, and mine is the spawn of Satan, but I love her none the less.

Back
Top Bottom