BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Pics
View attachment 3068161

This official BYC poll shows that over 75% of voters keep chickens mainly for pets. However, it's hard to keep chickens as pets if they run away from you when they see you, or they attack you. Many chicken owners dream for (or have) their perfect lap chicken. Individual chickens vary based on their personality, how they were raised, etc, but some chicken breeds are better pets than others. Now I want to hear from you: what is the friendliest chicken breed to humans?

:celebrate Welcome to the debate! :celebrate
First the rules, please do read them!!!

Rules:

• This thread is open to all BYC members.
  • You can only debate for up to 3 different chicken breeds, no more than that!
  • No arguing, or being rude. We all have different opinions. This is a debate, not an argument!
  • Please back-up your answer, one word is not convincing- if you don't know what to write please use the guide that is featured later on in the post.​
  • Using articles and other threads to back you up is welcome.​
  • Must be a chicken breed, maybe soon I'll make a thread for other poultry!​
  • You may use relevant pictures.​
  • All BYC rules apply: Terms of Service (Rules)

If you are unsure what to write, use these to start you off....

• What is the friendliest chicken breed(s)?
  • Why do you think this?
  • What evidence can back you up? Threads? Articles?
  • What is your experience with this breed(s)?
  • What breeds are not very friendly? Why?
  • Anything else

I will update the second post with all the breeds that have been mentioned and links to all the posts mentioning them.

Let's get debating!
Old English Bantam. Americauna. Brahma.
Thanks for tagging me, Pippin!

The true Rhode island red chicken is the friendliest of breeds

Attachments

• 20220225_175824(1).jpg
    20220225_175824(1).jpg
    913.5 KB · Views: 6
Sebrights are the best house and family chickens. They are best kept as a single pet and love to just sit with you. My old lady Lace will just sit on my lap in class some days.

Attachments

• 85217757-D2F0-4D26-BA62-E277139974D6.jpeg
    85217757-D2F0-4D26-BA62-E277139974D6.jpeg
    712.4 KB · Views: 6
My best experience has so far been with my chocolate orps.They run to me ,they love to be touched and held.They are so sweet and look out for each other.They also love to come in the front door like my dogs ...BUT MY DOGO ISNT HAVING That! 🤣🥰

Attachments

• FB_IMG_7455255567006381251.jpg
    FB_IMG_7455255567006381251.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 6
I have a lot of different breeds. Buff Orpington, Blue Wheaten Ameracauna, SLW, EE, OE, 55 Flower, Frost White Legbar, various Marans, have owned a White Leghorn that passed, and Barred Rock that I rehomed, all hens. Guess which breed I think is the meanest. (The one I rehomed of course)

I also have 2 roosters which I think of differently for friendliness. One is a Leghorn x Red Sexlink. The other a White Frizzle Cochin Bantam x Buff Brahma Bantam. They are both friendly in my way of thinking of rooster friendliness. They don’t attack me in any way no matter what I am doing. I don’t avoid them, they don’t avoid me. I’ve even been able to pet the big one without him running away.

But I think this is more about hens. So…
Marans! I have a Black Copper (Bunny), a Blue Copper(Doris), and a Blue(Edna). I also have an offspring(Shula) of the BCM and the big rooster.
Doris joins me singing as I am tidying the coop each day. She jumps up to the roost in front of me to get my attention. She often comes if I call her name or start singing without her. Doris Edna and Bunny don’t run away if I try to pet them. They accept it and seem to enjoy it. Shula didn’t care for petting until she reached laying age. Now she’s happy to see me and let’s me pet her. So my first choice is Marans. They are huge birds and slow so perhaps it was easier to get them used to me.

Easter Eggers would be second. I bought one(Henneth Fowltrow) and hatched 2 offspring(Ginger and Red Robin). They aren’t seeking me out but they aren’t rejecting my petting.

Third, or possibly tied with EE, are my Ameraucanas. Sweet little ladies(Rosie and Posey) that don’t avoid me and they allow petting.

I already told you my meanest hens.
So second in less friendly breed for me would be Olive Egger. These aren’t nasty but they will peck you if you try to take eggs from them even if not broody. They aren’t into petting much.
Third… hard to chose because none are mean or nasty but a few don’t want to interact and will run away if I try to touch them. Maybe Legbar?

There’s my choices according to my experience. I’m considering adding an Australorp or two to my flock because of hearing good things about their friendly factor.

Back
Top Bottom