Covid-19 causing surge in backyard chicken raising!

I also agree. It's going to be difficult for many of these chicks, and I hope at least most people do right by them. It would be nice if the feed store folks, and the hatcheries, sent home advice, and maybe spent a few minutes talking to their buyers. It is hard when they are busy, but I feel for the chicks!
Mary

Yes indeed. They should look to local hatcheries or farms selling laying hens, but even so they need to understand the egg process. They just don't lay eggs randomly.

Last edited:
I also agree. It's going to be difficult for many of these chicks, and I hope at least most people do right by them. It would be nice if the feed store folks, and the hatcheries, sent home advice, and maybe spent a few minutes talking to their buyers. It is hard when they are busy, but I feel for the chicks!
Mary
Tractor Supply hands out care sheets, so does Rural King.

I had noticed that the hatcheries had very little in the way of "last minute bargains" the week of hatching -- I usually go on just to tempt myself, but there is nothing these days!! Just turkeys and some ducks. I also sold 5 roosters in 2 days on CL, for actual money, which has never happened to me before. Usually I can't give them away!! Perhaps I should set some eggs in my incubator. I have really cool breeds...at the moment I am selling every egg I get but I'd make better money selling chicks ;)

Back
Top Bottom