Do chicks need the heat lamp constantly?

Pics
Yes leave it on 24/7. Start at 95 degrees the first week and lower the temp by 5 degree each week until they are to about 70 degrees. Depending on your climate and where they will be housed will depend how long you keep the heat lamp on.

I don't think my lamp is adjustable (250w bulb and a cover) but I do have them in a tub large enough that they can move away from the heat if they like. My house is generally kept at 70 deg F during the summer.

I don't think my lamp is adjustable (250w bulb and a cover) but I do have them in a tub large enough that they can move away from the heat if they like. My house is generally kept at 70 deg F during the summer.

Just raise and lower the lamp to adjust the temp. The chicks will be roughly 4 or 5 wks old before 70 degrees will be a safe temp for them.

I don't check the temperature of my heat lamp, but I do keep it on 24/7 They're in a brooder pen big enough that they can get away from the heat if they want to during the day. My chicken coop is an 8'x16' shed. If they crowd under the lamp, I know it's too cold for them. Last night was down in the 30's and when I checked on them they were kind of on the edges of the light, but not directly beneath. As far as hen-raised chicks,they stay warm when they're with the hen because they can crawl underneath her when they get cold. The 95* for people-raised chicks is more of a reccomendation than a hard and fast rule.

I would assume those chicks still have the hen around and she keeps them warm when they settle.

You do not need to keep chicks as hot as people think. Think about the birds which are raised outside by hens...the wild birds which raise chicks (and must go forage for food) and the fact that chicks outside do not huddle miserably under the broody hen 24/7...they go to her to warm up, not to bake as if they/re going to be Sunday dinner. MANY of us have posted on this board that chicks will be fine outdoors in cool, even cold temps, as long as they have a warm place to go when they are chilly, and as long as they are not wet or in a drafty pen.

Mine went outside at 3 and 4 weeks. It was still getting down to the 40's at night here. They did not die or even get a sniffle.

Back
Top Bottom