Ya I am sure it’s tender, just make sure no one pecks at it. It happens, all you can do is try to keep them out of the wind and not get wet.

My horse got her ears wet and then frost bite on her ear tips. The tips eventually dried up and flaked off.
Thank you for the reassurance, I feel so guilty but I honestly do not know what more I could have done.

Thank you for the reassurance, I feel so guilty but I honestly do not know what more I could have done.
Not much you can do, just make sure they are out of the wind and not in any humidity. Wet and cold are the big issues for frost bite (my cheeks are sore from Saturday’s wind and blowing snow which made my cheeks frosted!

It is less then a week away from the new year. I have a to do list. I need to thoroughly clean and sanitize my incubator that has sat dormant since the end of April. That should not be too bad of a project as it was put away clean. Around the first of February I need to set it up for a test run for a few days to make sure it will hold its temperature and humidity. It is coming on its third season. If it is going to have issues I need to know before March. My goal is the 2nd or 3rd week of March to fill it with a dozen silkie eggs. I've promised myself to be a good person and not do any incubating until I have those precious silkie eggs in my possession. Since I plan on having to brood those future chicks myself, if I can time it right I hope to have the leghorns around the same time to make it easier. In the end, my wish list is for 2 or 3 leghorn pullets and at least 4 silkie girls. 2 white and 2 black as I am splitting the dozen eggs into 6 white and 6 black.
Should I ask about Mama Hen ?🥺

Every morning I wake up thinking of her and you… wondering is that crazy bird still up on that hillside?

Blow, blow, thou winter wind
Thou art not so unkind
As man’s ingratitude;
Thy tooth is not so keen,
Because thou art not seen,
Although thy breath be rude.

(Shakespeare; As You Like It)

Sorry best I can do for a winter Shakespeare quote 😊
FD954E1F-7339-4AE7-B405-957002FF6343.jpeg

Should I ask about Mama Hen ?🥺

Every morning I wake up thinking of her and you… wondering is that crazy bird still up on that hillside?
That crazy bird is still on that hillside. She comes off once a day. Every time I come to the kitchen window I glare out at her. She alternates between trying to hide or staring smugly in my direction.

That crazy bird is still on that hillside. She comes off once a day. Every time I come to the kitchen window I glare out at her. She alternates between trying to hide or staring smugly in my direction.
Astonishing! What a crazy biddy!

You must take a photo of that hillside - the famous hill which shall be forever known as The Crazy Bird Slope. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom