Has anyone heard of a smokey pearl chicken?

I was told I have sapphire gem chicks, but mine came from TSC also. I’m wondering if they’re pretty much the same cross breed of chickens? Because the smokey pearl chicks I have are identical to sapphire gem chicks. Mine are now between 4-5 weeks old and in that in between stage of down feathers and real feathers. I guess I’ll find out in a few weeks.

I saw some at our local TSC the other day and wondered the same thing as I had never heard of them. They are so stinkin' cute, more so in person and I kept telling myself I had enough chicks already. 😂

I'm going to guess it's a Black Australorp x California White hen, or California Grey. I think the key to the dusty color is Autosomal red with the Barring gene (and something else the Barred Rock must have). (edit: I change my mind below.)

First, I don't think either the Smoky or the Pearl genes are at play here, it's just a marketing thing. (Pearl/Opal is totally hard to find, and looking at the bird, I would go for Dun (I^D) over Smoky (I^S) every time, but it's not Dun either.) It looks similar to what the lavender gene does to both black and red pigments, but we know there's no lavender there because of the black in the saddle. Same with the blue gene.

(Pre-explanation in the context of silver based birds with the pattern gene.)
When crossing a silver male to a gold female, you get all silver chicks, the males being S/s+ and the females being S/-. The males usually have a gold tint to them because of their hybrid status, but the thing is, sometimes the females do too. This drove me crazy because it's impossible, until I found one obscure reference that explained that a silver hen could present like that due to the autosomal red that her mother carried. Since this isn't common knowledge and the reference was to a breed that has lacing, I believe the feather pattern genes are a contributor.

The Black Australorp should be a silver base, but the shiny green sheen to the feathers is enhanced by Autosomal red, therefore that could be what's making that coloring (even though we've got all Silver base parents).
Looks like what I call Austrawhites cross between the black australorp and leghorn
Yes it does, but with the extra dustiness of the white. The California White is a California Grey Male over a White Leghorn Female, and the California Grey is a Barred Rock Male over a White Leghorn Female. So in essence you have 3 parts Leghorn and 1 part Barred Rock going in, and then adding the Autosomal red is what makes the "with some having what we describe as ghost barring" appear, due to the added chance of carrying the Barring gene. They wouldn't all carry the barring gene, so there must be something else at play that's also triggering the dusty color. Maybe the barred gene has nothing to do with it and it's just one of the pattern genes like that's seen in the lace or spangle varieties with dustiness?

And that's another thing...Ar making the dusty color over silver is one thing, but we've got Dominant White going on here too. It's leaky, sure, but it doesn't affect Ar or gold. So how would we get Ar over it and turn it a little greyish? Could it be that they're using the California Tan that they stopped selling? https://flockjourney.com/breeds/brown-egg-layers/california-tan/ (BTW - flockjourney is Hoover's.)

Being that they don't generally want to have to make too many not-for-sale hybrid breeds just to parent a new hybrid, they're probably using the unused California Grey females to make this cross.

What I don't get is that the California Grey, being part Barred rock, should lay a brown egg, and so should the California white, but neither do. Every barred rock easter egger I've ever seen lays some shade of green to olive, so I wonder what it is about mixing with the leghorn that makes the brown tint to not be produced? The California Tan had a brownish egg, so it must not be the leghorn genes entirely.

Scratch the Black Australorp.

California Tan and California Grey (25% Red, 25% Barred, 50% leghorn); or Black Sex Link Males with White Leghorn (same percentages). Probably the last one, so they can drop all their "California" hybrids altogether, and utilize the male sex-links. I don't really see gold in those chicks' phenotypes, but there are a couple that could be, and if they are, they'd be female. (50% S/S or S/s+ males, 25% S/- female, 25% s+/- female.)

See how fun science is? Every answer creates more questions!

And you guys thought you'd be getting away without some crazy story on them!

I'm going to guess it's a Black Australorp x California White hen, or California Grey. I think the key to the dusty color is Autosomal red with the Barring gene (and something else the Barred Rock must have). (edit: I change my mind below.)

First, I don't think either the Smoky or the Pearl genes are at play here, it's just a marketing thing. (Pearl/Opal is totally hard to find, and looking at the bird, I would go for Dun (I^D) over Smoky (I^S) every time, but it's not Dun either.) It looks similar to what the lavender gene does to both black and red pigments, but we know there's no lavender there because of the black in the saddle. Same with the blue gene.

(Pre-explanation in the context of silver based birds with the pattern gene.)
When crossing a silver male to a gold female, you get all silver chicks, the males being S/s+ and the females being S/-. The males usually have a gold tint to them because of their hybrid status, but the thing is, sometimes the females do too. This drove me crazy because it's impossible, until I found one obscure reference that explained that a silver hen could present like that due to the autosomal red that her mother carried. Since this isn't common knowledge and the reference was to a breed that has lacing, I believe the feather pattern genes are a contributor.

The Black Australorp should be a silver base, but the shiny green sheen to the feathers is enhanced by Autosomal red, therefore that could be what's making that coloring (even though we've got all Silver base parents).

Yes it does, but with the extra dustiness of the white. The California White is a California Grey Male over a White Leghorn Female, and the California Grey is a Barred Rock Male over a White Leghorn Female. So in essence you have 3 parts Leghorn and 1 part Barred Rock going in, and then adding the Autosomal red is what makes the "with some having what we describe as ghost barring" appear, due to the added chance of carrying the Barring gene. They wouldn't all carry the barring gene, so there must be something else at play that's also triggering the dusty color. Maybe the barred gene has nothing to do with it and it's just one of the pattern genes like that's seen in the lace or spangle varieties with dustiness?

And that's another thing...Ar making the dusty color over silver is one thing, but we've got Dominant White going on here too. It's leaky, sure, but it doesn't affect Ar or gold. So how would we get Ar over it and turn it a little greyish? Could it be that they're using the California Tan that they stopped selling? https://flockjourney.com/breeds/brown-egg-layers/california-tan/ (BTW - flockjourney is Hoover's.)

Being that they don't generally want to have to make too many not-for-sale hybrid breeds just to parent a new hybrid, they're probably using the unused California Grey females to make this cross.

What I don't get is that the California Grey, being part Barred rock, should lay a brown egg, and so should the California white, but neither do. Every barred rock easter egger I've ever seen lays some shade of green to olive, so I wonder what it is about mixing with the leghorn that makes the brown tint to not be produced? The California Tan had a brownish egg, so it must not be the leghorn genes entirely.

Scratch the Black Australorp.

California Tan and California Grey (25% Red, 25% Barred, 50% leghorn); or Black Sex Link Males with White Leghorn (same percentages). Probably the last one, so they can drop all their "California" hybrids altogether, and utilize the male sex-links. I don't really see gold in those chicks' phenotypes, but there are a couple that could be, and if they are, they'd be female. (50% S/S or S/s+ males, 25% S/- female, 25% s+/- female.)

See how fun science is? Every answer creates more questions!

And you guys thought you'd be getting away without some crazy story on them!

Any chance of photos to illustrate the points you're making so that we can better understand? :)

I bought 10 'barred rock' straight run chicks at Tractor Supply 2 weeks ago. At the time, I felt they had mixed up chicks because some in the 'barred rock' tub were yellow, so I got half black half yellow. Hah! I asked the girl repeatedly if she was sure they were all barred rock and she insisted she was the only one dealing with them and they could not have been mixed up. Barred rock doesn't have yellow chicks! So, I'm thinking my yellows were from the next tub over, Smokey Pearl. I was wanting straight run so I'd get a cockerel, so out of the 5 black ones I think I'll get at least one, if not 5. The yellows are just gravy, especially since I'm expecting them to all be pullets.

And, let me tell you, at 2 weeks they are flying all over the place. I have a 2X4 across a couple sawhorses and they fly up there all the time. Now, if I could only train them to drink from the water nipples so I could stop with the messy waterers.

Pullets?? 6 week old Smokey pearls.

Attachments

• DD4077C9-8DA1-4EED-8D3C-724FF55CD7A2.jpeg
    DD4077C9-8DA1-4EED-8D3C-724FF55CD7A2.jpeg
    806.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 4EEED9D5-D834-4902-8096-63078D17F9C5.jpeg
    4EEED9D5-D834-4902-8096-63078D17F9C5.jpeg
    767 KB · Views: 39
  • 63A6192A-A153-4CFA-8C26-252A7990880E.jpeg
    63A6192A-A153-4CFA-8C26-252A7990880E.jpeg
    805.8 KB · Views: 30
  • B5E90CE2-DD9F-4502-8190-C0E70031C4ED.jpeg
    B5E90CE2-DD9F-4502-8190-C0E70031C4ED.jpeg
    739.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 65791BA4-C4CF-4299-BD1A-3B8BAD412E1D.jpeg
    65791BA4-C4CF-4299-BD1A-3B8BAD412E1D.jpeg
    759.5 KB · Views: 27
  • B39E7C5A-3DEE-4FD9-A080-9B261FE53540.jpeg
    B39E7C5A-3DEE-4FD9-A080-9B261FE53540.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 44DD2A31-16AE-4840-BEAE-8E20B5C4B259.jpeg
    44DD2A31-16AE-4840-BEAE-8E20B5C4B259.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 3413E8B4-4771-4751-BCBD-D87250DFC4E9.jpeg
    3413E8B4-4771-4751-BCBD-D87250DFC4E9.jpeg
    808.6 KB · Views: 35
I bought 10 'barred rock' straight run chicks at Tractor Supply 2 weeks ago. At the time, I felt they had mixed up chicks because some in the 'barred rock' tub were yellow, so I got half black half yellow. Hah! I asked the girl repeatedly if she was sure they were all barred rock and she insisted she was the only one dealing with them and they could not have been mixed up. Barred rock doesn't have yellow chicks! So, I'm thinking my yellows were from the next tub over, Smokey Pearl. I was wanting straight run so I'd get a cockerel, so out of the 5 black ones I think I'll get at least one, if not 5. The yellows are just gravy, especially since I'm expecting them to all be pullets.

And, let me tell you, at 2 weeks they are flying all over the place. I have a 2X4 across a couple sawhorses and they fly up there all the time. Now, if I could only train them to drink from the water nipples so I could stop with the messy waterers.
Last week I had cockerels all over my 2 story roof and my garage roof. I also had a young gros beck on the fence, eye balling my swimming pool for crawfish, fish, anything eatable.
Welcome to wild kingdom. :lau :love

I was told I have sapphire gem chicks, but mine came from TSC also. I’m wondering if they’re pretty much the same cross breed of chickens? Because the smokey pearl chicks I have are identical to sapphire gem chicks. Mine are now between 4-5 weeks old and in that in between stage of down feathers and real feathers. I guess I’ll find out in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom