HELP- found hen caught upside down, almost died. What now?

Nbugaj

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2018
Hi All,

My dear Ellie girl has had a tough go at it the last 10 months. I just found her yesterday afternoon with her leg caught on some chicken wire near the coop and she was stuck hanging upside down. I don’t know how long she was hanging like that for, she was out of the coop in the morning and this was mid afternoon I found her. She was on her last breathes I think, clear mucus coming from her mouth. When I brought her upright she just lay on the floor of the coop. I picked her up and brought her inside. No limbs or wings seem to be broken, but she is very lethargic, not eating or drinking on her own. It’s been 24 hours since I found her and brought her inside. She is still alive, but basically just sleeping constantly. I did a little bit of tube feeding this morning with baby bird food, electrolytes and water. When I opened her beak all of the mucus/sticky clear stuff was in there and kind of holding it closed. Her breathing is slightly rattled. She doesn’t seem to be able to swallow easily on her own when I did a little syringe feed for testing.

I don’t know if she has any kind of internal organ damage from hanging for however long she was hanging and if it will hurt her if I tube feed? But not feeding her food or water is also a major concern. She did diahhrea a bit last night just brown liquid.

I’ve never had this happen to a bird, don’t know likelihood of her making a full recovery? Not sure if there is anything else I should be doing to minimize chance of infection, Tulane 50 shot? Or something that supports internal organ function? Any ideas??? She’s made it through a broken leg, internal parasites, and a couple other health scares in the last year. It’s been rough, but she always pulls through. Don’t want to loose her to this freak accident.

Help! Thank you!!

So sorry to hear about your hen, but glad that you found her in time to rescue her. It is hard to know if she perhaps vomited and aspirated (choked) while she was upside down. When they are stuck, it is common for them to try and free themselves which can cause an injury or exhaustion. She has probably been in shock and is dehydrated. I would try to just give her supportive care, giving drops of water with electrolytes into beak to swallow. Keep her separated, quiet and calm, and warm. Try to get the fluids into her first, since you are tube feeding, then try the food. Hopefully, she will start showing signs of recovery. Thinking good thoughts for you both.

Last edited:
I had a pullet hang from her wing all night and into the next day before I found her. She was exhausted and couldn't even stand for over 24 hours, I did get her to take food and water about after 12 hours. She just wanted to sleep. I was afraid she was gonna lose the wing and that would've eventually led to her demise. She made a full recovery, I had her on gamebird starter/grower for the increased protein and mealworms to help stimulate her appetite. Dont give up on her, they're stronger than we give them credit for. Here's a picture of her wing (it got 2 or 3 times the size in the photo before it started to look better). The picture of the brown leghorn pullet is her. The white pullet was a victim of two dogs playing chase & catch, also photos of injuries and then a now photo. Strong birds, alot of fight in them.
20190910_161209.jpg
20191102_191433.jpg
20190908_162627.jpg
20190908_162634.jpg
20190908_162641.jpg
20191102_191308.jpg

We rescued a pullet once who was found hanging by the leg from the handle of the metal waterer. She had only been like that for a short time, but she had already given up and was still. Fortunately she recovered and was fine, but I would think shock could be an issue and perhaps nerve damage to the limbs might be something they would need time to recover from. I really hope she gets better and you sson have good news for us.

Back
Top Bottom