Hi. Have a small mixed flock . Here to learn . Have some questions already about a hen that I suspect has egg drop syndrome.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I would give her a calcium with vit D tablet twice a day for a week and see if that doesn't help her.
Thank you. Wow, what a great community, thanks for all the welcomes.
Can you buy calcium tab with vit D at tractor supply? I notice she not eating much now . Here a few pictures of her feather loss. Somedays her waddle is pink some days not.

Attachments

• IMG_20230512_134127176.jpg
    IMG_20230512_134127176.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230512_134052455.jpg
    IMG_20230512_134052455.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230512_134241608.jpg
    IMG_20230512_134241608.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230512_134316460.jpg
    IMG_20230512_134316460.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 3
Thank you. Wow, what a great community, thanks for all the welcomes.
Can you buy calcium tab with vit D at tractor supply? I notice she not eating much now . Here a few pictures of her feather loss. Somedays her waddle is pink some days not.
You can give her human Caltrate, I've had good luck with it. Break the pill in half and give her half once a day. Crush it and sprinkle it in some scrambled eggs or something you know she will eat. Do this for about a week, she should be able to put a hard shell on. Once you start to see a lot of calcium bumps on the egg, you can back down to 3 times a week on the caltrate.

Can you buy calcium tab with vit D at tractor supply?
I get mine at Walmart. The tablets are pretty big and the hen can typically easily swallow them but I snap them in half and pop one half at a time into her beak and let her swallow. I always grab a hen off of the roost before they are ready to leave in the morning and dose her and then grab her again at night after everybody's gone back to roost to dose for the second time.

You can give her human Caltrate, I've had good luck with it. Break the pill in half and give her half once a day. Crush it and sprinkle it in some scrambled eggs or something you know she will eat. Do this for about a week, she should be able to put a hard shell on. Once you start to see a lot of calcium bumps on the egg, you can back down to 3 times a week on the caltrate.
Ok. Thanks. I know animals are like people,each one is different, but say you have one hen that her eggs have bumps all over from too much calcium, one that lays soft shells, and some that seem normal, how do you level it out so their not consuming too much or too little?

how do you level it out so their not consuming too much or too little?
You don't. You just leave a container of oyster shell out for free choice consumption. When you run into a bird having a specific issue that could benefit from extra calcium, you give her a calcium source that is more bioavailable. That is why people use calcium citrate with Vitamin D. It's easily sourced at WalMart, Walgreens, CVS, etc and easy to administer.
The birds bodies typically regulate the calcium needs. Every now and again, you get a bird that lays eggs with anomalies. Sometimes only occasionally. For some, it's par for the course.

Back
Top Bottom