How many duck eggs did you get today?

1 laying as of this morning, but she’s the one recouping from a coyote attack. Time for her to take a break and those other two layabouts pick up some slack! (Sigh, if only it were that fair).

My quackers tend to start up for the season in late Dec/ early Jan. My layer right now brooded the first clutch of the year, so she’s had her time off and started laying again probably about a month ago. My Rouen started setting in Jul, but abandoned it and molted a couple months ago, so she may resume any time, or wait to midwinter. My other Cayuga has been through her brood and molt as well, so same for her.

The chooks are keeping a steady pace- leghorn, comet and black star all still churning out daily. The Sussex, Wyandotte, and Easter egger/Australorpe take turns rounding out the average 5 a day. Mama Easter Egger and my PBR are done for the season, I think.
Poor baby! I hate it when they get attacked. Ducks are a new adventure for us so I was just curious how the egg laying goes for everyone else!

Zero! It’s been many weeks since I saw a proper egg. Maybe 2 weeks ago, someone made an attempt and passed a soft-shelled egg, and there was one day that I had to give Daphne her “emergency calcium”. However, that’s it!

My two Rouens just finished molting, and my Muscovies are mid-molt.

I’m just happy that Daphne made it through another laying season! (Jinx)

Now, it’s time for them to rest, grow new feathers, and stay warm.
Ok... what is "emergency calcium" ??? New to the duck world, other than when I was younger, but too young to know better!

I am still getting my usual 5 eggs from my 5 layers
My other 6 girls are only 4 months so not at laying age yet
My pekin laid all through winter last year Minus when she sat for 30 days on her eggs then another week off after that
She has been a machine and I really hope she takes a break this winter
@DuckyDonna showed me a video of how to properly store eggs for a year
This way you can get through the slow winter months and still have plenty of eggs to eat
Oh cool, would love to see the vid!

That's what I hear 🤦‍♀️ We were hoping for 2 females but no luck ( at least I don't think )
I always say that my ducks act more like one big duck rather than five individual ducks. They move together, swim together, preen together, sleep together. What's one more? Just a bigger duck, in my view.

Ok... what is "emergency calcium" ??? New to the duck world, other than when I was younger, but too young to know better!
Calcium Gluconate is a commonly used medication used when a duck is egg-bound. Daphne’s avian veterinarian prescribed a different calcium supplement, Calsorb, that works well for her when she gets one of her “abominations” (aka freaky eggs) causing her trouble. It’s her “emergency calcium” as I only give it when she’s actively having issues. She gets regular calcium in the form of oyster shell every day. Daphne has had reoccurring reproductive issues for as long as I’ve had her (almost 5 years), so we have a little routine at this point!

Back
Top Bottom