I gave my flock too much protein

Scotty from BI

Songster
Aug 26, 2015
I had no idea I was causing damage to my flock by giving them too much protein. Dehydrated grubs, (black soldier fly larve) can be ordered in bulk which I did. I threw out about a cup of bugs to my flock of 10 adult large breed chickens. I figured it's cold and they have been molting so they needed plenty of protein, which I gave them. They are restricted to a closed run, so I also fed them greens in addition to their pelleted layer feed.

I began seeing large watery poops especially at night which I did not connect with too much protein. Also, it is a big mess. I thought it was from impacted crops or something similar. I let it go on for several months. My chickens are about 16 months old now. I have stopped feeding them the grubs and their poops have returned to normal.

so the reason I am posting this is to let others know to moderate the amount of protein you feed especially in the form of dried bugs. Their kidneys can only handle so much protein. Hopefully, I did not injure my birds. They have not been laying very many eggs for young chickens although it is winter so I figure they are taking a break and not suffering kidney damage.

^^^ @ChickenCanoe does this sound right? I’ve decided to feed my mixed flock on 19% Broiler pellets (cause that’s what I have available that’s not layer feed) and just ordered a boatload of mealworms for treats... should I also be concerned?

I will still feed them the dried bugs, just not so much. If you do not see watery poops, you are probably okay I think. I am hoping someone here knows more about this subject than I do. I am still learning. I don't think that free range chickens eat nearly as many bugs every day as I was feeding my chickens. After a time the chickens will deplete the bugs from their field to some extent and they dilute the protein with a lot of plant based feed.

Also, I have heard that many like to raise the protein levels with starter feed for layers or cat food. Most mature birds need around 16% or 17% layer, a little more when molting or freezing weather. But it is very easy to over indulge your little friends. I like to watch them go into a feeding frenzy when I throw the bugs out there for them.

I'm no expert but it's not a matter of "too much protein", instead too much treats. I feed mine (4BO) Flock Raiser 20% (fermented) with Oyster Shells free choice in a separate dish. No free ranging, confined in their Chicken house (8x12x7), they get 1/8 cup BOSS & 1/8cup mealworms at close up for scratching fun. I stopped all "healthy" treats (veggies, fruits, table scraps) cause they weren't gaining and learned all too much treats throws off the nutritional balance of their feed.

The restricted to the coop girls here are on layer pellets cut with whole wheat, so they are not getting near the 17% protein of their feed, they also get greens and I just got my mealworms. But my girls and guys are on the 19% Broiler because it’s the only thing I can find pelleted that isn’t Layer feed (calcium issues with all my future Roos), and they make a huge mess with crumbles.

I’m having a really hard time fermenting feed here. There’s this crazy kham yeast thing that takes over all my ferments! It’s hit my feed, sauerkraut, and kombucha. Very disappointing because in the city I had a room pretty much dedicated to my fermentation, and was selling my kombucha to friends (they actually insisted on paying me, cause it sells in stores for $5-6 per small bottle here) I will try again when the temperature improves here, hoping the warmth will allow my desired ferments to our compete it.

I keep hearing that it is better for confined birds to just eat the formulated layer feed and not supplement with "treats". Problem is it sounds kind of boring for the chickens. I love throwing snacks out and watching them scramble to get as much as they can. I feel like what I am giving them is healthy, but again... the standard recommendation is to just feed the layer pellets which are supposed to be optimum. I have upped the feed game by mixing layer pellet from Modesto Mills with layer mash from Scratch and Peck and putting a bit of water in it to make it more interesting for them. This is in addition to the plain layer pellets that are available all day. I don't know, what do you think?

My little ones loved their “porridge” when I was (having given up on fermentation until conditions improve) mixing their starter crumbles in with water.

My only issue with the layer feed is the excessive calcium for all my boys and that my chickens aren’t laying yet! We also have older chickens that have stopped laying whom I’d like to take off the layer pellets too, but there’s some other issues there that need addressed first. I’m keeping mine on pasture, so I haven’t really been supplementing their greens. The ones in the coop do get greens daily, I think it does improve the egg flavor, but they get kale, chard, and chickweed (not lettuce, they won’t eat it!).

I’ve been concerned about the higher protein in the Broiler pellets I’m using for a while but haven’t been able to get a response on it that makes sense. I get a lot of “just feed layer pellets they are complete” (ignoring my calcium concerns) or feed “all flock or flock raiser and OS on the side” which I can’t get here. It’s layer pellets/mash, grower crumbles (so much wastage!) or the 19% Broiler pellets.

Back
Top Bottom