I gave my flock too much protein

As opposed to this from a sick chicken who I keep asking to not be fed greens while I try to treat/save her. She only has the layer, and greens (why no one here listens to me, I can’t say) this would be a very concerning poop.
0A7D3BA3-EC9F-4803-AB18-8BDE5F531C42.jpeg

If abnormal stools would hold treats just supply feed/water and see if clears up. Bloody stools can mean coccidiosis. If continues with abnormal stools on only feed/water would have vet test.

Yes, I had a fecal float done... I also have many older photos of bloody stools, but the coccidiosis treatment looks to have been very successful, I was worried about the recovery timing and intestinal shed post treatment... their poop looks very normal now, but when I took those pics I didn’t know about nasty cecal poops!

To a mixed flock, I would feed a Flock Raiser, grower, or layer feed with poultry grit and OS on side. If have ones under 8 weeks flock raiser for more protein and chick grit. If all over 8 weeks grower or layer with poultry grit. If you get broilers, would keep and feed separately from laying hens as have different needs.

Yes I have mixed flocks... if I could get grower pellets, I would prefer that, but I can’t afford to feed the crumbles with the amounts they waste, especially since I’m on pasture. The ravens and local little birds are already very happy with what my chickens manage to spill once I move their enclosed tractor off yesterday’s grass (they can’t get in so I know they aren’t stealing the foods!)

My meat birds will be kept separately. I’m going to do a mix of commercial meaties and heritage for breeding my own. The Broiler pellets are pricy compared to layer, but with all my cockerels and the old hens I’m going to integrate it’s still cheaper than the crumbles.

The word "treat" is abused in the context of chickens, certainly in this thread. More people need to get a handle on what the chickens actually consume when they have a choice feeding on unlimited volumes of quality forage.

The nutritionally complete formulations are designed to provide the minimum for most nutrients yet not cause health issues and to control cost. We are taking that and confusing it with a hard set of numbers with respect to how much of a given nutrient the chicken requires and tolerates at the same time. That is not not correct. The development of complete diets has made it so we no longer try to understand what nutrition is about.

Last edited:
@centrarchid what is your opinion of the feeds I have access to from post #17 in this thread? And what would you consider quality forage for chickens? If providing supplemental greens and insects in a situation where the chickens don’t have access to forage, what would you recommend? Have you ever encountered problems with excessive protein intake? I really like your ranging set up and would love to hear your opinions on this!

@centrarchid what is your opinion of the feeds I have access to from post #17 in this thread? And what would you consider quality forage for chickens? If providing supplemental greens and insects in a situation where the chickens don’t have access to forage, what would you recommend? Have you ever encountered problems with excessive protein intake? I really like your ranging set up and would love to hear your opinions on this!
Your diets are higher in nutrient content than what I would expect for what is called a least-cost formulation under environmentally controlled commercial conditions (notice I am particular). Your conditions are not controlled. Odds are birds on such diets are less inclined to exhibit feather picking or premature feather loss, which is good. I use diets with elevated nutrient density, especially on side of protein for that same reason.

Live insects that are easy to rear would be the ones I would use. I have reservations about fatty acid profile of insects cultured on grains as a primary food source. Insects fed a varied diet with more omega-3 fatty acids would be my first choice. Meal worms I can get do not meet that criterion. Black Soldier Fly (BSF) larvae likely provide better fat profiles for the birds.

When it comes to greens, actively growing and differentiating tissues are likely to have more protein and vitamins. Tips, buds, and reproductive parts fit that description. Legumes are also a good start although some grasses when selectively grazed seem to be pretty good. My birds eat a lot of duckweed during summer, enough they do not seem to have an interest in water. Think about grass-fed beef and how it varies from grain-fed. You can see and taste differences in the fat volume and appearance.

I have not encountered excessive protein intake in my setting; to expensive to make happen. When their is a heavy hatch going on like with Japanese Beetles, May Beetles, crane flies, and swarms of periodic cicadas and that is pretty much all the birds are eating, I have yet to see health issues. Changes in feces do not include an increase in runniness.

My ranging setup has short comings. Currently it cannot support birds I free-range during the winter, at least not the main flock. During production season when the forage is a lot better, I have predator management issues that are a real bugger. Conflict between providing quality forage and safety is very difficult. A lot locations used by most free-range poultry keepers is not quality as the feed supplies the overwhelming majority of what the birds consume.

Back
Top Bottom