I gave my flock too much protein

I cup per 10 birds doesn't sound like an outrageous amount, protein-wise. I'd be more suspicious of the greens causing diarrhea. Lettuce in particular is known to cause loose stools.

Agree on the lettuce.

I think assuming they're bored and wanting treats is giving them human desires rather than chicken ones.

Agree but we all have our opinions :thumbsup

Personal thoughts here... I know I’m no expert in chicken nutrition... in a natural or free range setting they would forage a lot, finding some bugs and eating some greens. I think in a confined setting without access to that, some supplements or treats aren’t bad, as long as it’s not huge amounts. When they eat more “candy” than “breakfast/dinner” there’s going to be a problem.

Just because “Boost” or “Ensure” is balanced nutrition doesn’t mean that only drinking/eating it is a good idea.

Also what is this “BOSS”?

I’ve been concerned about the higher protein in the Broiler pellets I’m using for a while but haven’t been able to get a response on it that makes sense. I get a lot of “just feed layer pellets they are complete” (ignoring my calcium concerns) or feed “all flock or flock raiser and OS on the side” which I can’t get here. It’s layer pellets/mash, grower crumbles (so much wastage!) or the 19% Broiler pellets.
I feed broiler feed to most everything I have, with oyster shell available. Grower would also be a fine choice.

Agree but we all have our opinions :thumbsup
He asked what we thought, and that was my thought. I did not make any sort of judgment.

^^^ @ChickenCanoe does this sound right? I’ve decided to feed my mixed flock on 19% Broiler pellets (cause that’s what I have available that’s not layer feed) and just ordered a boatload of mealworms for treats... should I also be concerned?

I wouldn’t use broiler feed unless you own broilers. They really only need feed and water. The others are treats and keep 10% or less of diet.

I wouldn’t use broiler feed unless you own broilers. They really only need feed and water. The others are treats and keep 10% or less of diet.

Here are all my options for my not laying yet/stopped laying/and rooster flock:
89CDC8ED-6E2B-42D1-88EF-0A944D3B19E1.jpeg
9B6387FB-F7A0-49FD-9DA3-9C2F86F7E804.jpeg

The 4% calcium is too much for non layers... and I had 13 8week olds go through a 50lb bag of dry crumbles in under a week!

I will also be getting broilers this year.

The 4% calcium is too much for non layers... and I had 13 8week olds go through a 50lb bag of dry crumbles in under a week!

If I remember past threads accurately, Melky and I strongly disagree about broiler feed.

In your shoes, if you want pellets, I'd 100% feed the broiler. It's not even a high-protein broiler, mine is actually 21%. 19% is just barely higher than most all-flock formulations. It's perfect, in my opinion - enough protein to keep egg production and feather quality up, but nowhere near an excessive amount.

Here are all my options for my not laying yet/stopped laying/and rooster flock:View attachment 1660271View attachment 1660273

To a mixed flock, I would feed a Flock Raiser, grower, or layer feed with poultry grit and OS on side. If have ones under 8 weeks flock raiser for more protein and chick grit. If all over 8 weeks grower or layer with poultry grit. If you get broilers, would keep and feed separately from laying hens as have different needs.

If I remember past threads accurately, Melky and I strongly disagree about broiler feed.

In your shoes, if you want pellets, I'd 100% feed the broiler. It's not even a high-protein broiler, mine is actually 21%. 19% is just barely higher than most all-flock formulations. It's perfect, in my opinion - enough protein to keep egg production and feather quality up, but nowhere near an excessive amount.

Thanks I worry a lot! These are my first flocks, and the older chickens here have been poorly managed, so I don’t have much to go on! I’m planning giving about 1/8 cup mealworms to 25 chickens every couple of days, once my colony gets going.

They also prefer the pellets to the dry crumbles. I let them out in the am, they go straight for their feeders and water, about an hour later (I’m not able to move them due to a recent injury) my husband and I go out, refill everything and move them onto fresh grass. The immediately start combing over it for bugs, eating little bits of grass and clover. This is why I think moderate amounts of greens aren’t bad for confined birds.

@Scotty from BI (edit to tag)
Could the runny poops have been cecal poops? Apparently these can be somewhat normal, but extra stinky and wet. Here are some pics that were identified as cecal poops from a thread I had (worry a lot) on my chickens poops (because I had to treat for coccidiosis and don’t know fully what normal is yet) 2D28FB74-FC37-4D13-80C1-6FBCD4D53005.jpeg 247F3991-27DF-4452-A5AC-AC1F1E9271EC.jpeg F382208C-D4DD-4A75-BC04-13D94CB2FF6B.jpeg C9496092-F3BF-49A9-8A1E-22B0CE9B65CF.jpeg

Any red is intestinal shed (what I was asking about), but the runny ones I was told are occasionally normal cecal poops.

Last edited:
Thanks I worry a lot! These are my first flocks, and the older chickens here have been poorly managed, so I don’t have much to go on! I’m planning giving about 1/8 cup mealworms to 25 chickens every couple of days, once my colony gets going.

They also prefer the pellets to the dry crumbles. I let them out in the am, they go straight for their feeders and water, about an hour later (I’m not able to move them due to a recent injury) my husband and I go out, refill everything and move them onto fresh grass. The immediately start combing over it for bugs, eating little bits of grass and clover. This is why I think moderate amounts of greens aren’t bad for confined birds.

Could the runny poops have been cecal poops? Apparently these can be somewhat normal, but extra stinky and wet. Here are some pics that were identified as cecal poops from a thread I had (worry a lot) on my chickens poops (because I had to treat for coccidiosis and don’t know fully what normal is yet)View attachment 1660303View attachment 1660304View attachment 1660305View attachment 1660306

Any red is intestinal shed (what I was asking about), but the runny ones I was told are occasionally normal cecal poops.

If abnormal stools would hold treats just supply feed/water and see if clears up. Bloody stools can mean coccidiosis. If continues with abnormal stools on only feed/water would have vet test.

Back
Top Bottom