Indiana BYCers chickenfest 2015

I agree. I also still think roasting marshmallows and grilling hotdogs are a lot more family oriented or child friendly, even with the fire.

I don't like to brag, but I'm the S'mores champion of the universe.

Okay, I do like to brag.

:-D

I'd be happy to do a demo / instructional seminar on automatic coop doors. It would probably be around 45 min. or so.

Last edited:
I love the idea of a campfire and s'mores, and as a newbie I'm also very interested in demos for auto doors, bumblefoot, and anything else you all will teach me (hilarious - my Kindle's spelling corrector changed bumblefoot to Dumbledore - Harry Potter has taken over the world). I guess I'd vote for making our own food over a catered event, unless somebody knows an amazing caterer. I find catered food often less tasty than basic stuff we can do ourselves. I'm happy to have dogs present. Might be an interest in rabbits as well - sounds like many people keep them or are interested in doing so? I'm allergic to them myself, but think they are adorable so don't mind a bit of sneezing.

I love the idea of an annual t-shirt. I've already gotten compliments on this year's.

As far as alcohol goes, I don't really drink much and don't see the need to have alcoholic drinks to have a great time. I'm not being a prude nor really worried about the impression it makes on kids. I'm thinking more of the fact that Chickenfest is something we all drive to.

I love the idea of t-shirts for Christmas (or Chanukah) presents. We also have less cash in the summer so being able to buy earlier would be great. I somehow missed the napkin holders, but might be interested in those as well. I was also thinking maybe a canvas bag with the logo printed on it (like for shopping at the grocery store or farmers market). We can always use more of those, and they make great presents.

Ok, I am thinking mid September. Yes or no's? taking a vote, and I will start looking for a northern location. Will post on our main thread also.
1. Plans are a swap, and maybe an auction on donated items like hatching eggs, even live birds. Swaps should be planned in advance and the owners responsibility. Chicken trains could also be worked out for the event.
2. @hoosiercheetah
is offering an auto door demo. Other topics?
3. Pitch in or possibly catered. (several food chains even offer catering packages, like subway) Food committee will plan this, and take votes, decide on menu. @Minminme
and possibly @barb s
:fl Anyone interested in the food committee please holler! We need to plan for vegetarian members as well.
4. Time period...longer event, shorter? We all kinda felt it was too short!
Those 4 items will give us a good start on the new fest coming next year.

Hollering back... I can only speak for myself but I am definitely interested in being on the "feed em right" committee. I used to have a business that included catering so if you want catered I may be able to give you a good price on it. Anyway you all want t go...let us know.

I am willing to offer up rare breed eggs for auction to help with fundraising too. My rares would be lavender orp, nowegian jaehorn, bieliefeler and BCM. Possible OEs. I should also be able to offer hatching eggs for midget white and bourbon red turkey. Muscovy....lets raise some funds to make a great get together!

Okay, now that I finally found you all! Thought I had subscribed months ago but didn't! And so often I am on my phone reading and have trouble navigating and responding on it.

Something to consider. June is the start of fair season. I know fairs kept people from coming last year. If Chickenfest was late May - Early June it would be before fair season starts. I know we have fairground cleanup/ painting/ prep etc. for 4-H beginning June 13th, possibly earlier. And anyone with kids in 4-H are frantically trying to get exhibits ready by early June aroudn here (Marion County). Once you hit mid June fair season is in full swing. These are the dates fairs in the central Indiana area:
The Marion County fair is June 19-28.
Hancock County June 19-26
Hendricks & Johnson County July 19-25th
Hamilton July 16-21
Morgan July 31- Aug. 8
Boone July 23-26
Shelby July 7-11
Madison July 19-15

Oh hey - I just discovered there is a PDF with all the fair dates - http://www.four-h.purdue.edu/downloads/new/2015_County Fair Dates.pdf

I am not sure we can swing going that far away (oh but I want to see those Alpacas! My best friend sold her herd so I am goign thru Alpaca withdrawal!), so I don't want to officially give any date to sway things, but wanted you all to be informed and able to consider fair season if you so wish.

We still will buy shirts or hoodies, and possibly participate in auctions to help support the endeavors (provided they are not too far away to go pick up). I'm in the market for eggs/chicks! And who knows maybe things will work out to be able to come. We have had a lot of long day trips for Robotics this year and it is hard at the end of a long (even if it is fun) day to drive 3 hours to get home - dh and I are kinda needing a break from that over the summer since we have health issues that make it a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom