Is this penicillin okay to use?

I used Pen on my bird that was attacked by a hawk. I got it from the fridge in a grain store. I believe it said the same thing. For some reason most chicken meds are necessarily made for chickens but other livestock. You just have to get the dosage rite. I have always had better results with injectible meds for some reason just because you can't always guarantee the bird is getting the proper dosage. Of course I never medicate unless absolutley necessary but in this case it worked.

I have great luck with just topical antibiotics. I have only had to use the heavy duty stuff once when an injured bird inhaled some of his water and it sounded like he was developing a pneumonia.
idunno.gif

Yes, Kat, that is what I've always used on my internal layers and it is safe to use on your hen. 1/2 cc injected into the breast muscle once daily is the usual dose for a wound, though I use twice that for egg peritonitis.

When Suede's hens had rips in their sides, I've cleaned out the wounds and used antibiotic ointments there. They heal up very well with topicals.

I am using it now on one of my hens for fluid in her belly so I am using a high dose. She has had 5 doses so far and she is doing fine. I have had birds heal from some pretty nasty looking wounds just by cleaning it with perioxide / iodine and applying neosporin every other day. I think it is better to leave the wound open so that nothing get trapped in there and cause an infection.

About applying the topicals - neosporin, polysporin and the like....

This is in a prime location for Doe to get her beak in. Isn't she going to ingest quite a bit?

What about using pine tar? It's antimicrobial/antiseptic. She wouldn't be tasting it, that's for sure.

Quote:
That's a good case for Blu-Kote instead. I use the pump spray when needed. I put on old jeans, rubber boots, rubber gloves, a painter's spray sock on my head and a cheap plastic poncho over everything. That way, there are only a few parts of me that stay Smurf blue.

Trust me- she WILL shake vigorously after the application, cover your face fast!
lol.png

Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree. It's only toxic if they eat it and they don't. I've been using pine tar since I first got chickens with great success.

Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree. It's only toxic if they eat it and they don't. I've been using pine tar since I first got chickens with great success.

Well, since her concern was toxicity by ingestion of topicals, I thought it important to point out toxicity of pine tar too.

Quote:

Well, since her concern was toxicity by ingestion of topicals, I thought it important to point out toxicity of pine tar too.

True, but most of the topicals - neosporin and the like - don't have the gawd awful smell and taste of pine tar. Don't ask me how I know what it tastes like. My Lil' Bit wore it for most of her first year and it's not easy to apply.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom