I've just been laid off... Anyone else Unemployed?

ChicknThief

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
Nor Cal
I recieved a phone call from my employer this morning and she laid me off. She said that she really liked me but that she couldn't afford to keep a hostess over the winter. She said that I could have my job back come summer if I want it though. That just doesn't help me now, LOL. I just paid $80 to replace a blown out tire on my car, paid thirty dollars for a parking ticket, contested another, and I found out that I need to replace my brakes, which will cost about $230. Oh, and I need to re-register my car by the end of htis month, another $110. I have one small last check coming my way and that's it. I will not even come close to covering my vehicular expenses, let alone my gas and insurance until I find another job.

Make no mistake, I have no gripes about my employer. Things have been really slow recently, and I had just survived a 15 person lay-off, so I know that she really did want to keep me. She just couldn't in this economic climate. So if any of you live in Ca, do her a favor and patronize The Golden Egg Omelot or Tofanelli's Bistro. The food is scrumptious.
tongue.png

So back to my original point, is anyone else out there in the same boat right now? Who else has been laid off due to the low confidence in the economy?

My hours have been cut back so much, I might as well be unemployed! Im looking for something else, but there just dosent seem to be much in the way of jobs around here,
Hubby says the savings is dwindeling and I am feeling bad but there is nothing more I can do,
I didnt have the heart to ask him for chicken food money, so my sister gave it to me. I hate that so much.

I'm sorry!
sad.png

My company did some lay-off's this week, after we all waited and waited pending DOOM.

Two friends of mine got the bad news, I've been hunting for them myself. One is VERY close to getting a new job already.

Hang in there - its going around really bad right now.

I am sorry about the bad news. There has been little confidence here in the economy for over a decade and a half now and times are getting even tougher.

Do you have a friend or relative that could help you with the work on your car? After some research and help from friends I have changed everything from CV joint/axle assemblies to brake master cylinders to brake disks, drums and pads - and I know that I have all the quality parts that I paid for. Depending on what type of car you have it could be an easy fix - certain disposable parts of the car are designed to be near drop-in replacements (the instructions are out there).

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I'm soo sorry to hear that!!! My hours were cut at work too. However, for different reasons than the economy(and I want to add, Everyone I work with gets along and is happy with each other, so it isn't anything I did wrong!!). The business I work for is actually doing quite well. But that isn't the point. Again, I am very sorry you are going through this, and I am sure you will be able to find something that will get you through this. I always try to look at these times as opportunities for change. For using my creative powers to find some other venue and opportunity for earning money. I know you will do it. Take a couple days to stay home and re-organize your house etc. It will come to you what you might be able to do next. Take care of yourself, and Always look for the positive.
wink.png

I know plenty of people who are unemployed right now. Smart, kind, hardworking, loyal people. This downturn has nothing to do with someone doing something wrong. It has everything to do with the economy. My fiance, he is an IT guy, always had a company car because he goes from location to location. Well last month they took all company cars away. Soooo.. we had to buy a car, thankfully he works for a towing company so he got a good deal, but it is still a payroll deduction. And they give him 40 gallons of gas a month and pay half the insurance. Which means we are paying for half the gas and half the insurance we never did before. We are all feeling this pain..... Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom