MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

@generaldsherman Do you have a photo of your cream legbar cockerel? How old are your chicks? I am trying to get mine moved to the big girl coop and it is not going well.
He kept moving his head, silly boy.
You can also see one of the CCL girls in the back, as well as my Aloha chick, a silkie, and two golden-laced wyandottes.

3.5 weeks after hatching out 10 chick, my broody started laying again today. The chicks are almost fully feathered and spending a lot less time around their mom. I'm hoping I'm done with babies for the season now.

Last edited:
@Honora Sorry, I think I missed that part, but what did you use the Ivermectin for? And was it the 4% injectable? Thanks!

Honestly I am not exactly sure what it was for, lol. My hens were having issues with itching/ preening constantly and frayed feathers. I think it was some kind of depluming mites. I have also seen red mites here and there in the yard and I saw lice on the eggs a while back. So I decided to try the ivermectin & see if that helped. It was the injectable, not sure if it was 4%. Seems to have helped anyway, whatever it was!

I signed up at the workshop I went to in Oakland. I think they have enough people though cause everyone there signed up for it, lol. If you want I can send you their email though, & you can ask if they need any more participants in their study on backyard flocks.

I used the 4 ml of injectable ivermectin per gallon in the water.
Is it safe to eat eggs from chickens that are or were treated with ivermectin?

@Honora Sorry, I think I missed that part, but what did you use the Ivermectin for? And was it the 4% injectable? Thanks!

Honestly I am not exactly sure what it was for, lol. My hens were having issues with itching/ preening constantly and frayed feathers.  I think it was some kind of depluming mites.  I have also seen red mites here and there in the yard and I saw lice on the eggs a while back.  So I decided to try the ivermectin & see if that helped. It was the injectable, not sure if it was 4%. Seems to have helped anyway, whatever it was!

@Honora Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing the dose!

Oh yes, ivermectin helps with any parasite that drinks blood. If it sucks blood, ivermectin will kill it. And worms too.

Is it safe to eat eggs from chickens that are or were treated with ivermectin?

@casportpony

Wondering too. I think mine may possibly have mites too but then again it might be the coops too small and theres a lot of flies and gnats cause its summer now so idk. Working on cleaning it more often and of course getting the new coop built. Poultry Protector helps somewhat but i dont do it regularly enough. Flies inside too. The flies are really especially bad. Not sure if it's me and my not cleaning enough or if flies are just a summer problem?

Is the only way to calibrate a digital thermometer with a Mercury medical one?
You can't stick the digital in a glass of crushed ice. I don't have an old fashioned medical one. Mine are all digital

Back
Top Bottom