MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Well. After a day of heartbreak yesterday and a fearful night of losing the crushed egg chick I woke to.... VIPER!!!! The miracle chick that I thought would die. I was thinking Miracle but my kids said name it Snake. We settled on Viper. Boy/ Girl. Works both ways.

If you take a small container like a tuna tin, fill it with beer, and set it on the ground. The slugs will be attracted to the beer, go for a sip, fall in and drown. Don't submerge the top of the tin even with the soil level or you might also kill ground beetles which eat slugs. Keep rims at least 1″ above soil level.

sugar + baking yeast was as effective as some beers, but not as effective as Budweiser, but beer is a staple so drink the beer and use the sugar and yeast
lau.gif

Vinegar is a good ingredient for slug spray

Soapy Water

When collecting slugs by hand, it’s surprising how quickly the little bugg critters escape from their container while you’re busy searching for more. One solution is to dunk them into a bucket of soapy water. It doesn’t kill them but it does prevent them slithering back up the sides.
A smear of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) serves the same purpose.
Squishing

I’m a squeamish wimp so I don’t favour this method, but many people do. A heavy boot, couple of bricks, the possibilities are endless. Keep out of the firing line; it’s surprising how far splattered slug can travel!
Steel Wool

Try standing your pots and containers on steel wool. Slugs don’t like crawling over it.
Stone

A flat slightly raised stone or piece of paving slab makes a cool dark daytime slug shelter. Lift it during the day and dispose of any slugs found hiding beneath.
Thorny Prunings

Thorny or prickly prunings can be scattered around vulnerable plants to deter slugs. They stop cats scratching up your garden too... Ooch Ouch!
Toilet

Having been out in your garden eagerly scooping up slugs, you’ll need somewhere to dispose of your grimy haul. How about feeding the birds at the sea-side!
Tongs

An old pair of sugar or tea-bag tongs makes a handy slug lifting device for those of you who detest gooey fingers. But please please do not return them to the kitchen drawer afterwards!
Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly)

Smear a 5cm (2”) band all the way round the rim of your containers. The slug’s grip will be broken and it won’t be able to reach your plants. Be aware that this can make containers more difficult to handle.
Watering

Although evening watering is often recommended to avoid evaporation, this leaves the ground nice and wet for slugs that are more active at night. It’s better to water your plants in the early morning; it’s cool enough for the water to absorb into the soil, while allowing the surface to dry out during the course of the day so it won’t harbour nocturnal slugs.
Wood or Board

An old piece of board strategically placed can add rustic charm to the garden and provide daytime slug shelter. Raise it slightly or fix a couple of small battens to the underside to allow the slug to slither underneath. Turn it during the day and dispose of any slugs you find.
Wooden Plank

Use an old wooden plank to provide a daytime slug shelter. Placed between rows of plants, it doubles as a handy walkway. Check underneath periodically and remove any slugs you find. Or you could simply jump up and down on it a few times!
Nemaslug – nematode slug killer

Nemaslug – Slug Killer
The environmentally friendly alternative to traditional slug pellets; Nemaslug is the perfect choice for the ecological gardener who hates using chemicals and poisons in the garden. In fact, the nematodes are already present in smaller numbers in most soils, so you aren’t introducing anything new into your garden.
Simply mix the nematodes with water and apply to the soil – job done. Up to two month's protection from a single treatment.
Don’t let slugs spoil your garden this year!
Nemaslug slug killer

Will definitely keep you in mind. I've got a group of Ancona currently on day 19.
some of my breeders. I've sorted through further since the pictures and only kept the best marked and biggest ducks.

Eggs will hatch black, blue, chocolate, lavender, and tri

Last edited:
Wanted to share in hopes that this may help someone!

During the last hatch, I had two sets of eggs from different breeders. One set a day behind the others. On day 21, one of the chicks had hatched and somehow gotten tangled in the incubator fan wires. I cracked the incubator open to retrieve the chick, and in doing so, I accidentally cracked the top open on one of the Day 20 eggs!!!!! Luckily, it had pipped internally, but the membrane quickly started to dry out! I followed @Sally Sunshine assisted hatching 101 found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

The little chick was doing well, but even after peeling back the membrane and uncountable hours, it wasn't coming out of the shell. It finally unfolded it's head but still did not emerge. As suggested by Sally, I placed the egg, wrapped in a warm wet paper towel, inside a small cup in the incubator. I went to dinner, and when I came back, there was the chick! Out of the cup!

Next issue: curled toes and umbilical cord still attached! Unfortunately, the chick struggled to move around between the curled toes and the umbilical cord. Once it was somewhat dry, I removed it long enough to give it Nutri Drench ( a live saver btw if you don't have it). I then left it in the incubator until the cord and matter attached to it had dried and fallen off. I put a little bit of Betadine on the piece of cord still attached.

By the next day, one foot straightened out, but the other one still wasn't quite right, so I fashioned a little boot for the chick, placed it in the brooder and gave it Sav A Chick Electrolytes (another chick must have). I also provided it with small bits on scrambled egg yolk.

It's been a week now since this whole uhh adventure? started, but the chicks feet are completely corrected and it seems to be doing great! This was my first ever assisted hatch, and I couldn't be more pleased. Thank you Sally for your help and advice!!! Here is a little collage of the whole process. I hope this will help someone else!!!!!

My May hatching eggs have arrived. Wow! Out of 16, only 5 had visible air cells, and those were small and rock solid! Not a floater or a saddle shaped cell in the bunch! When @RubyNala97 gathered them for shipping, she said she couldn't see air cells yet they were so fresh, and she shipped them right afterward. So I have high hopes for this hatch. They'd better hatch - Katiebug is way too excited for words at this point. I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with 16 Silkies!

Last edited:
I have 38 cooking for May 10th. I'm not entering for the coop, I'm just here to get advice and encouragement from fellow chicken people. I could give a dossier of a story though. My grandfather (81 years young) was one of the original SF guys in the Army. Way back when SF wasn't even a thing. He is a great man and has help to make sure we have safe life here in the USA. Never have I met someone with so much heart.
oh !!! you must get some stories together of him!!! I would love to hear about his days! So glad your here!!! Welcome over!! and PLEASE join the contests too! Why wouldnt you! have at them!
hugs.gif

I think I shall join in the fun.

I discovered one of my EE hens had laid and was trying to sit in the woods (not so brilliant)... so when I found her nest, I tried to relocate her and the eggs safely to the coop. She proceeded to throw the biggest tantrum in the history of chicken-dom and tore me up in the mean time.. where she acquired the official name of Sybil. She abandoned the eggs, which forced me to fire up the bator for the first time in a couple years.

She had 10 eggs, and I threw in 2 more to make it a an even dozen. I candled twice with 100% developing. Then before lockdown I candled again and have one - maybe two - quitters.

We went into lockdown this afternoon and best I can tell (from her trying to sit in the woods) they could be due as early as Monday? Technically May, so I'm in.

Below are pics of Sybil .. and my awesome roo, J.J. (yes, I'm a Texans fan!)

Happy Hatching!

love
Lovely!! She just wanted you to get the hatching bug didnt she!! lol Welcome over!!

Broody hens are still sitting, but my eggs are being dwindled down due to toe nails. Looking into ordering hatching eggs or I am headed to the breeder tomorrow as well.
Sweet!! Welcome!! toe nails?
hmm.png
What are you going to hatch?

It looks like my turkey hens might start laying eggs again, if so, I will be setting turkey eggs soon as I get a week's worth.
sweet!!! Welcome over!! how many is a weeks worth? I tread lightly on that one, one time someone said 102 lol

Back
Top Bottom