Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

It's been a rough week or so around here. Trying to get things organized before the "grand opening". My working pace is much slower than it used to be. Then there is the restrictions that the doc wants me to follow. Such as not lifting anything more than 20 pounds.

Going out to violate that "rule" in a few minutes. Those 40 and 50 pound bags of critter food ain't gonna unload themselves.
Went to TSC last night for the feed and they had their chicks for just a dollar. Leghorns, buff Orps, and black Australorp pullets. I resisted the evil calling of chicken math.
My BOs are 8 weeks old and have been out with the big girls for 3 weeks or so.
Met a guy at TSC last night whose family just got some chicks. He was like a little kid buying the stuff they needed. I asked what breed they got and he said "anacondas".
idunno.gif
At least he was getting the proper stuff for them.

PS -- I'm still looking for someone who is able to come in once or twice a day when I go to hospital after CS16. Let me know if you know of anyone. Thanks.
If you lived closer I'd have no problem with that. How long will you need assistance, rough guess?

But  the chickens will eat them too.  Mary

They will - last year they loved getting the extras and laid like crazy while getting all the odds and ends veges not pretty enough to eat, can or freeze.

This year I don't think they will be laying before August but they will be happy.

I had the woody ends from 2 lbs of fresh asparagus last night which I gave to the chicks. The older Pullets would grab an end, squeal and run like crazy banshees around the barn floor with the other big girls in hot pursuit.

They are very entertaining.

Beans - I could stand them, but I run when I see my zucchini-growing neighbor. Some of those squash you could use as a baseball bat.

There's a trick with using the ones that get that large since they obviously aren't as awesome as perfect, small tender zucchini.

If you have a Vege shredder, just drop chunks of past perfect zucchini into it and shred, shred, shred.

Place shreds in a BIG bowl with some sea salt and toss liberally. Let sit for about an hour to cause the zucchini to release excess water which you drain off.

Use the drained shreds in place of pasta - no carbs.

A lot of times we will layer the shreds at the bottom of a greased glass baking pan, place sausage crumbles, store bought spaghetti sauce and some cheese into the oven until it's bubbly.

I tend to play that by ear for time since the shreds vary in how long they cook given how big they are and if you got all the extra water off of them...

And no - I don't measure if I don't have to - I just eyeball whatever is fresh in the garden and use what I have. We pretty much don't use anything from the grocery for side dishes from the end of May until mid September. What's for dinner Mom? Whatever is ready to be harvested...

There's a trick with using the ones that get that large since they obviously aren't as awesome as perfect, small tender zucchini.

If you have a Vege shredder, just drop chunks of past perfect zucchini into it and shred, shred, shred.

Place shreds in a BIG bowl with some sea salt and toss liberally. Let sit for about an hour to cause the zucchini to release excess water which you drain off.

Use the drained shreds in place of pasta - no carbs.

A lot of times we will layer the shreds at the bottom of a greased glass baking pan, place sausage crumbles, store bought spaghetti sauce and some cheese into the oven until it's bubbly.

I tend to play that by ear for time since the shreds vary in how long they cook given how big they are and if you got all the extra water off of them...

And no - I don't measure if I don't have to - I just eyeball whatever is fresh in the garden and use what I have. We pretty much don't use anything from the grocery for side dishes from the end of May until mid September. What's for dinner Mom? Whatever is ready to be harvested...

Ummm yum!

Yeah, I think I need to keep Amy away from TSC and FFH for the next couple of weeks, she would really like to have some ducks as well. Don't think we need to start in on that project just yet.

But I do already have thoughts for a floating duck coop for the pond.
wink.png
I need a pond for that! I may as well fling money to the wind!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom