NPIP certified? If not why?

It is FREE in Missouri.

If you get NPIP certification then you are agreeing to only purchase birds from NPIP certified sources...Sorry...Opting out...

That is why I am not certified..... HOWEVER, I did have the state come out and test my flock when I found out there was some fund that had money in it that would pay for other testing. They only did 30 birds, and they tested for things that NPIP does not test for. They did encourage me to become NPIP certified, and I have considered it many times.

I go back and forth with this .... just not sure if I want to.​

Quote:
I'm in Oklahoma, OKC Metro area, what do they do? Do you bring the chicken to them or do they come to you for testing? And who do we contact?

I got NPIP last May. Free here in NY as long as you are going for the NPIP Certification and not just getting a few birds tested to show. I decided to do it because I planned on showing birds, plus it was free. If it wasn't free and expensive like in some states, forget it. But purchasing from somebody who is NPIP doesn't mean that their birds don't have some other disease, crd-mg-etc. That's why I don't purchase live birds, just hatching eggs. Seems like there is less of a risk that way.

Last edited:
I'll add this too... It seems kinda strange to me that you can't purchase outside of NPIP folks as it is possible that a wild bird will poop in your yard and your birds will pick something up from them. I just think it is another way for Big Brother to try to control small farms... again, not having small farms and backyards best interest at heart...???

Dave

I just got my birds NPIP certifed. Here in NC it also cost $5 to test all my birds. I only had 43 but not all were chickens. I have some ducks and a couple of young turkeys. It didn't take much to test. The prick a spot under the birds wing to get a drop of blood. That is mixed with a drop of some purple stuff. All the birds were in good health. The guy took a swab in each birds mouth and that will go to the lab. I will wait to hear on the results of that test. I can't remember which test was for which disease though. I was so busy getting the birds and watching what they were doing that I wasn't able to absorb what they were telling me....... ugh. Age is not really working for me. My brain at least.

If you get NPIP certification then you are agreeing to only purchase birds from NPIP certified sources...Sorry...Opting out...

That is not the case. I can buy any bird I want. What I wouldn't do is mix it with my tested flock. Once I had the bird tested then no problem.

I was told by the inspectors that many backyard flocks aren't as safe as one may think. Birds my be carriers of a disease and not show symptoms until there offspring grows. Even then they will be carriers. It's the respitory problem birds. He also said to watch out at flea markets because people are getting rid of birds that are a problem and alway auctions. You never know what you may get or what problems you will bring home.​

I have personally SHIPPED birds OUT OF STATE at least seven times and not ONCE I ever got stopped, returned or reported. I've asked my good friend who is the postal inspector about those NPIP stuff and he said that the USPS does NOT enforce it. The health of the birds are YOUR responsibility between the breeder and buyers. They do NOT halt shipping of birds, questionable or not, it is not their job. They do not look up every NPIP papers or stamps on the box nor do they CARE. All they care is getting the birds to YOU to the destination.

I was back and forth about it and I found out the BEST breeders were NPIP negative sponsors. They just do not want any part of it because mostly the government thing....right up there closely like NAIS and it does not test everything including MP, or CRD which it is so terrible.

It is free for me but I have to pay for the testing strips, his gas and his time to do the birds. He lives about an hour or so away from me.

Every bird I sold to 4H kids and people that are into showing poultry, all have NPIP done and every one of them came out clean free of MP and CRD which I am happy about it.

Quote:
Thanks to a grant from the USDA, it's only $5.00 to test in Oklahoma too. The throat swab is for Avian Influenza, AKA bird flu, and they only do the first 30 birds. The tester showed up here driving an OK Dept of Agriculture truck, and brought all his supplies (just add water; about a half cup). There was no per bird fee, and I didn't have to pay extra for his fuel or travel time.

Bonus; in OK, once you're in the program, if you have a sick bird and are worried that it might be something that could infect your whole flock, you can call the Dept of Ag, and they'll come to your house, pick it up and have a necropsy done to let you know what it had - for free. (You do have to kill the bird yourself)

Quote:
Believe it or not, people STILL bring in birds, whether they are NPIP or not. All they did was to put the birds away from their NPIP flock, like across the other side of the pasture or another barn or shed and do bio security. Quarantine them as well.

Then the testers come out to test those new birds, then later, you can mingle your flock with your existing flock as proper precautions being taken.

Yes I agree, it is a false sense of security and I do not want government run the small breeders down. There ARE alot of Welsummer breeders who are NOT NPIP and every bird they have tested for shows, comes up negative for any diseases required to be NPIP or to be shown.

Really the choice is yours, whether or not you want NPIP.

We are NPIP. It was 100% free for us when we were originally tested by the state vet. My husband went to the class to be a certified poultry tester and we have tested our own birds ever since. We did it mainly to be able to travel with the birds for showing purposes.
Christie
big_smile.png

HI Robin, how have you been?
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom