Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I've got a question that I think you all can answer. Back in April I hatched out some eggs none of which should nave been game birds. I have been watching this chick from the time he was very young. He seems to have a game bird gaze and most times stands very upright. Please comment on breed and color. If a gamebird cockerel cand he be kept in a mixed flock of hens and other roosters? Thanks
42372_raptor_boy_3.jpg

42372_raptor_boy_2.jpg

42372_raptor_boy.jpg

Quote:
Ah, that roo has Orloff blood in him!
thumbsup.gif
I don't have the old SP for Orloffs down completely in my head, but I know enough about Orloffs to know that what you have has Orloff blood. Notice the walnut-like comb and beard, and the erectly-held tail. Those are marks of an Orloff. His feathering seems a bit on the thick side (most Orloffs have medium-thick feathering), and his tail should probably be a little bigger, but I'd still say he's got Orloff in his veins.
As far as being kept with a mixed flock/other roosters, pure Orloffs do just fine with that. Males will not kill each other like Malays or Shamos, but do not be surprised if they fight occasionally. Although Orloffs have fighting bloodlines and are very good fighters if necessary, they don't usually display these characteristics. Orloff roos make very alert and strong protectors of hens.
The coloring of your Orloff (let's just call it that, pure or not
wink.png
) looks like Crele. Crele Orloffs are VERY rare in the USA: the most common color is Spangled. So even if your Orloff isn't pure, you've got a beautiful and rare bird nonetheless, I'd say.
cool.png

Thanks so much Gresh. I'm relieved that he will not fight with the others. Unless someone needs him in a breeding program he will stay here. I like his coloring and disposition.

Quote:
No problem
wink.png
Like I said, he shouldn't be a serious fighting problem, especially if his current disposition is a friendly one. In my experience, the disposition a roo has in his chick days will be the same in his adult days, as long as he receives the same amount of human interaction.

I have Shamo's KO Shamo's and Asils.

Black Shamo Cockerel
66947_shamo_post.jpg

Dark Shamo Young
66947_dark_shamo_pr.jpg

Bantam Shamo's
66947_shamo_bantams.jpg

Mottled Shamo Cockerel
66947_spangled_shamo.jpg

WLR Cornish LF-hen
66947_82wlrcornish-1.jpg

Asil cock head
66947_blk_asil_head.jpg

Shamo cock head
66947_shamo_hd_2_1.jpg

Will post more of the young when they feather out a bit.

Walt

Last edited:
Quote:
JMO; but I think ordering any breed of hatchery chicks is the most expenciive way I can go if my goal is to own quality stock of the breed. The hatchery birds of any breed I've had were pretty good layers and sorta' fit the general description of the breed they were sold as. However they cost nearly the same to feed, and as much to house, as a higher priced bird from a good breeder, and badly needed some quality stock bred in to get them looking like they were supposed to look. The rarer the breed, the more expencive the quality stock costs, but the hatchery birds seemed even farther off to me, and would take many generations of struggle if I ever succeeded in getting them near enough to the breed to suit me.

I have a neighbor that deeply enjoys his mixed flock of hatchery breds and I think that's great, they produce plenty of eggs to eat and hatch and he enjoys them as much as I enjoy mine. [I have some hatchery birds also and enjoy them also.] He's planning on ordering Saipans next spring.................................... I think he'll like them as long as doesn't expect them to look like the pictures of Saipans on the hatchery's site; but seriosly doubt the roos are going to protect his flock from predators as he thinks. On the other hand, I doubt he would be happy with the results of tossing a couple of high priced, true Saipans loose in his pens to fight predators, even if he could find them.........................

Back
Top Bottom