Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Oh, misunderstood... LOL

Since this is a fairly international group:

I need ideas for keeping critters out: in the past I have lost birds to dogs, I have actually watched them scale 6 foot wood fence to get into flock area, tried chain link, but then the wild critters still got in. As I will try small birds I am concerned that they will have less survival chance then my LF did in the past.

So here is my list of predators to worry about in my suburb (I actually see these critters while working through out the urban cities, suburbs and rural areas I travel in... most people are in office buildings so they are clueless what lives in their neighborhood): Mountain Lion, Hawks, Vultures, Owls, Snakes, Opossum, Raccoon, Sewer Rats, Coyotes, Foxes, Dogs, Domestic Cats, Skunks, Otters, and Weasels. 

I am thinking when I build the coop/pen area I need to make it hard to burrow under, covered and maybe different fencing materials... so ideas welcome. Oh anyone tried cameras of various types for night monitoring?

Seems as though you'll need some Large Australian Game to combat your Mountain Lion problem. Remember, they can kill foxes.

Seems as though you'll need some Large Australian Game to combat your Mountain Lion problem. Remember, they can kill foxes.

LOL Yeah I know, most folks never see the lions, the lions follow the creek & irrigation systems & foresty bike trail system that zig zag through the county & cities, then they go for take out while people are at work, by jumping up on the solid fences (cinder block, heavy duty wood ones) look for small dogs or unaware domestic cats... I can tell when a lion has moved into a neighbor hood all dogs under a certain size go missing. I know this becuase one was hunting in my mothers neighborhood and everyone's pets disappeared, then my kids 4 & 5 at the time where playing in grandmas backyard when a lion jumped up, my kids back slowly away into the house, told grandma who did not believe them, the next week lion came back and the adult mowing the lawn paniced & ran away which caused the lion to give chase, the guy just made it in the house, the lion slammed into the door. Then people believed my kids... but illegal to shoot them unless they kill a person, could get no one from local animal control, police or state fish & game to even try and relocate the critter... I just got lectured about the fines & jail time if I shot one... I decided they where all idiots. Once in awhile in the dawn hours they kill a jogger (about every 10-15 years, we are over due for that). People do not realize what is grazing in their yards or running over their roofs... deer herds and huge turkey flocks which the predators follow as well. All I can say watching wild life programs and taking my kids to zoo & teaching them about wild animals saved my kids lives as they knew not to run and move as slow as posable away from lion. I have a creek near my house... so I have to consider it a wildlife highway.

They also apply tumeric to condition the skin. Northern VNese also like to trim the chest naked. In US, the GaNoi Don adapts to the weather and only stay naked to crowing age. They need the feather to survive the cold winter. Many folks maintain the naked red skin by trimming feather when the temp warm enough.
Tumeric?.... would you make a paste and wash or rub the bird with it?

Yes, "tumeric" means a mixture of red tumeric (not the yellow curry type) and other Oriental medicine. The VN folks prefer this mixture to condition and harden the skin. I wrote several articles on how it is used and how it works on a thread called "Training Tools" on the website ganoi.com (International Forum). Feel free to check this out.

LVS, there are many Oriental breeders in your area, most have Saigon birds (GaNoi cross), a few may have the pure GaNoi. They know me and my GaNoi very well.

Back
Top Bottom