Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Well, after a while of no (purebred) Shamos, I'm finally back into the spirit -

Received a (quad?) of young O Shamos today from pride&joy. A pretty dom stag, a very elegant, well put together dark/BBR pullet (or, melanized wheaten) a dom pullet, and a practically crele pullet. Even got two eggs in the box.
big_smile.png

The dom pullet isn't taking the drastic change of hot, humid Florida to cold, humid Washington too well, so she's warming up under a heatlamp in the coop right now. As with any Shamo arrival I always have a heatlamp for them, because I always receive hard-feathered, not-so-cool tolerating birds from semi-tropic or simply hot weather states.

The remaining other pullets though are doing very well, as is the stag. They're definitely already showing off their amazing foraging ability, practically grazing like cattle all day. The stag so far is very quiet though unlike my last male who upon arrival was talking and dancing away.

I'm very excited to have some Shamos again, and with the unexpected laying of eggs I'll get right to hatching them within a couple days just to be sure all is okay, and fertility is actually there. The stag flaps his wings and that's about as "manly" as he is right now. In the background of one of the photos is a rather annoying Polish x Houdan cockerel who snuck into the pasture and tried challenging him through the fence, but I think he's just so jet-lagged and shy about this new place, he turned away and ignored the challenge.

The "coop" shown is just temporary. Ignore the fact that it is pallets, tarp, and insulating hay.
hide.gif
We're still waiting for their brand spankin' new one, so this will do for a little while.

Well, after a while of no (purebred) Shamos, I'm finally back into the spirit -

Received a (quad?) of young O Shamos today from pride&joy. A pretty dom stag, a very elegant, well put together dark/BBR pullet (or, melanized wheaten) a dom pullet, and a practically crele pullet. Even got two eggs in the box. :D

The dom pullet isn't taking the drastic change of hot, humid Florida to cold, humid Washington too well, so she's warming up under a heatlamp in the coop right now. As with any Shamo arrival I always have a heatlamp for them, because I always receive hard-feathered, not-so-cool tolerating birds from semi-tropic or simply hot weather states.

The remaining other pullets though are doing very well, as is the stag. They're definitely already showing off their amazing foraging ability, practically grazing like cattle all day. The stag so far is very quiet though unlike my last male who upon arrival was talking and dancing away.

I'm very excited to have some Shamos again, and with the unexpected laying of eggs I'll get right to hatching them within a couple days just to be sure all is okay, and fertility is actually there. The stag flaps his wings and that's about as "manly" as he is right now. In the background of one of the photos is a rather annoying Polish x Houdan cockerel who snuck into the pasture and tried challenging him through the fence, but I think he's just so jet-lagged and shy about this new place, he turned away and ignored the challenge.

The "coop" shown is just temporary. Ignore the fact that it is pallets, tarp, and insulating hay. :oops: We're still waiting for their brand spankin' new one, so this will do for a little while.

Congratulations Illia! I got mine from Ish as well. Nice birds. Mine is very very game so watch that silly houdan! LOL and watch out for them racoons. Do you still have the other cock?
sharon

No. He was that last straw, the last Shamo. It wasn't coons who killed him though.
somad.gif
( I have two offspring of his though, not purebred, but I am going to hatch out a ton and I mean a ton of chicks from the two, thankfully a pair, and see if I can get a Shamo out of them. I know it may be controversial but I'll be pretty darn picky. Less than 12% chance of a "clone" of my last cock will turn out, but, it's worth all the hatching/effort. Loved that male and sadly no one has his siblings, offspring, etc. )

Yes, I'll be keeping the cross in a separate pen, far from this guy. But he is indeed going to have view to another male, an Araucana. Who honestly are also pretty game, and pretty darn successful too. So, I have a fence between the two with some very small holes, hopefully the Araucana will be too busy with all this many many girls that he won't come by often. If there is trouble, I'm going to set up a second fence to give a couple inch's space for fence-fighting prevention.

I sure hope he is plenty game though. I guess I'm just so used to the last cock who arrived full of life, this guy is just so quiet. I'm eager to hear how deep/short/long/high his crow is.

Last edited:
I hate to hear that Illia. That was, by far, the most beautiful bird. When I was talking to Ish about his I refered him to your cock and told him I wanted one at least as close to him as possible. I put a sight barrier up to keep mine from wanting to beat himself up against the fence!

I guess I'm just so used to the last cock who arrived full of life, this guy is just so quiet.

Illia, nearly all Shamo's are somewhat demure until they are past 8 months. Some will not "turn on" until almost a year. Nothing wrong with these late bloomers, though. Julia Keeling on The Isle of Mann is known world wide as "The Shamo Lady" and a famous quote from her says, "They are like big puddings until they turn on near their first birthday". Not verbatum, but you get the meaning. Nice looking fowl. I've been to visit Ish. He has a fine facility and many good looking fowl. With his background in Spanish Games, it's pretty safe to assure yourself that any fowl from him will be "game". I doubt very much that he would ever breed for show and ruin a "game" breed........Pop

No. He was that last straw, the last Shamo. It wasn't coons who killed him though.
somad.gif
( I have two offspring of his though, not purebred, but I am going to hatch out a ton and I mean a ton of chicks from the two, thankfully a pair, and see if I can get a Shamo out of them. I know it may be controversial but I'll be pretty darn picky. Less than 12% chance of a "clone" of my last cock will turn out, but, it's worth all the hatching/effort. Loved that male and sadly no one has his siblings, offspring, etc. )

Yes, I'll be keeping the cross in a separate pen, far from this guy. But he is indeed going to have view to another male, an Araucana. Who honestly are also pretty game, and pretty darn successful too. So, I have a fence between the two with some very small holes, hopefully the Araucana will be too busy with all this many many girls that he won't come by often. If there is trouble, I'm going to set up a second fence to give a couple inch's space for fence-fighting prevention.

I sure hope he is plenty game though. I guess I'm just so used to the last cock who arrived full of life, this guy is just so quiet. I'm eager to hear how deep/short/long/high his crow is.

Hey Illia, that stag I sent you is not older than 7 mo or so, I don't think I have heard him crow while he was here. He is the product of a repeat breeding and I have no worries about him gaming up when his time comes. If not I will gladly eat my hat and he's kin as well. Those are south Florida birds 45 F is real cold far as they know.

Ish

Last edited:

Hey Illia, that stag I sent you is not older than 7 mo or so, I don't think I have heard him crow while he was here. He is the product of a repeat breeding and I have now worries about him gaming up when his time comes. If not I will gladly eat my hat and he's kin as well. Those are south Florida birds 45 F is real cold far as they know.

Ish

What they say of Ish's birds are true....mine "turned on" around 8 to 9 months ( I can't remember exactly although I posted it somewhere here) and then he was full on. So people friendly and good to his hens...but no tolerance of another roo anywhere! I worried about mine up here in North Florida too and I imagine it is way colder there. I used wide roosts and pulled hay up around them. So far the lowest has been around 27 but that doesn't last long at all here.

Back
Top Bottom