Qquails899

Songster
Dec 26, 2019
Hungary
I just dewormed my quails and now one of them is acting very weird. She is more active than before, but she drinks a lot of water and her droppings are very watery. I also saw water coming out of her beak a few times. She has been like this for like 5 days and I don't know what to do. Please help!

Last edited:
I would only put out a tiny bit of sand for a while and see how this one does. Make SURE this one is getting enough to eat. If they feel threatened or bullied at the feeder, she may be gorging on sand because she is hungry. Put out another feeder and water station so she gets enough to eat. Put the sand back in a couple of days and see if she continues to eat a lot of it. Not only hunger but intestinal issues will cause them to gorge on sand. You can try some probiotics in the water to help with digestion along with everything else I suggested here. :)
Well I only have two quails as pets and they aren't bullying each other, but this one eats less and drinks a LOT.

Well I only have two quails as pets and they aren't bullying each other, but this one eats less and drinks a LOT.

Then I would say maybe she needs some digestive aid. Try the probiotics. You can use human probiotics if you don't have animal probios. Same stuff. One capsule per quart of water, make a new batch daily. Use it for about one week and see if she stops with the sand eating. Maybe add some vitamins as well. Keep us posted! :)

Then I would say maybe she needs some digestive aid. Try the probiotics. You can use human probiotics if you don't have animal probios. Same stuff. One capsule per quart of water, make a new batch daily. Use it for about one week and see if she stops with the sand eating. Maybe add some vitamins as well. Keep us posted! :)
Thank you! What about the excessive drinking? Why is that?

Thank you! What about the excessive drinking? Why is that?

What does her poop look like, color, consistency? Any butt feather staining from urates? Some bacteria's can make them drink a lot. Is she with another female or a Male? What breed? (Sorry about all the questions, LOL, it helps me understand what might be going on. :)

What does her poop look like, color, consistency? Any butt feather staining from urates? Some bacteria's can make them drink a lot. Is she with another female or a Male? What breed? (Sorry about all the questions, LOL, it helps me understand what might be going on. :)
It is light brown with urates sometimes, and very watery. The butt feathers are perfectly clean. She is with another female coturnix quail. No problem, I'm glad you are trying to help.

It is light brown with urates sometimes, and very watery. The butt feathers are perfectly clean. She is with another female coturnix quail. No problem, I'm glad you are trying to help.

Doesn't sound like Coccidiosis or a bacteria infection. But watery is not good. Is she getting really thin? How old is she?

You might try this instead for now...add some Apple Cider Vinegar to the water, they can both drink it. 3/4 teaspoon of the cider to 1 quart of water, making a new batch daily. This will do 3 things, 1 it will stimulate her appetite and 2 it will sour up the intestinal tract and 3 it will feed the good bacteria producing more oxygen.
Pathogens don't survive in sour oxygenated conditions, she may have a slight yeast infection somewhere in the tract. Yeast infections are quite common in all poultry. Feed her lots of greens too, especially chopped cabbage or broccoli slaw. Apples are wonderful yeast busters. All of these feed on yeast and aid the immune system. She needs to eat whatever she will eat to keep her healthy and if greens or chopped apples is all she eats until she heals, so be it. :)

I moved all this over to your thread here so it's easy for all to follow or add to it here. :)

Doesn't sound like Coccidiosis or a bacteria infection. But watery is not good. Is she getting really thin? How old is she?

You might try this instead for now...add some Apple Cider Vinegar to the water, they can both drink it. 3/4 teaspoon of the cider to 1 quart of water, making a new batch daily. This will do 3 things, 1 it will stimulate her appetite and 2 it will sour up the intestinal tract and 3 it will feed the good bacteria producing more oxygen.
Pathogens don't survive in sour oxygenated conditions, she may have a slight yeast infection somewhere in the tract. Yeast infections are quite common in all poultry. Feed her lots of greens too, especially chopped cabbage or broccoli slaw. Apples are wonderful yeast busters. All of these feed on yeast and aid the immune system. She needs to eat whatever she will eat to keep her healthy and if greens or chopped apples is all she eats until she heals, so be it. :)
I treated them for coccidiosis before. She is 10 weeks old. She's not getting thin, she is actually a pretty big bird, last time I weighed her she was heavier than her friend. I will buy some apple cider vinegar tomorrow because I never use that so I don't have it at home. But I do have cabbage so I will give them some. For how long should I give them apple cider vinegar in the water?

I treated them for coccidiosis before. She is 10 weeks old. She's not getting thin, she is actually a pretty big bird, last time I weighed her she was heavier than her friend. I will buy some apple cider vinegar tomorrow because I never use that so I don't have it at home. But I do have cabbage so I will give them some. For how long should I give them apple cider vinegar in the water?

About 1 week should be enough on the cider. If you have any probiotics you can add for today, that will help too. Empty one capsule into 1 quart of water. :)

Back
Top Bottom