About 1 week should be enough on the cider. If you have any probiotics you can add for today, that will help too. Empty one capsule into 1 quart of water. :)
And if I put probiotics in the water, can both of them drink it? I am afraid that the treatment for coccidiosis was unnecessary and the deworming too, what if I'm just way too paranoid?

And if I put probiotics in the water, can both of them drink it? I am afraid that the treatment for coccidiosis was unnecessary and the deworming too, what if I'm just way too paranoid?

Yes, both can drink the probiotic water. Probios are good for all life, we all need good bacteria in our digestive tracts.

Never think you are being paranoid when it comes to your birds! You know them better than anyone else and those that watch this carefully as you are, are good keepers. :)

At her age, she shouldn't have wet poop so something is going on. When I have sick birds, I try what ever I can so I can rule out things, worms and cocci are common and why not rule them out! Of course we can't change genetics or some organ issue she may have started life with. I don't think you should jump to antibiotics just yet, that is why I am suggesting the natural things that might aid her healing. If these things don't work, you might try some amoxicillin on her. If nothing works on her, you might try and find an avian vet that knows birds.

Is she laying yet? Coturnix quail?

Yes, both can drink the probiotic water. Probios are good for all life, we all need good bacteria in our digestive tracts.

Never think you are being paranoid when it comes to your birds! You know them better than anyone else and those that watch this carefully as you are, are good keepers. :)

At her age, she shouldn't have wet poop so something is going on. When I have sick birds, I try what ever I can so I can rule out things, worms and cocci are common and why not rule them out! Of course we can't change genetics or some organ issue she may have started life with. I don't think you should jump to antibiotics just yet, that is why I am suggesting the natural things that might aid her healing. If these things don't work, you might try some amoxicillin on her. If nothing works on her, you might try and find an avian vet that knows birds.

Is she laying yet? Coturnix quail?
Yes, but she stopped laying after her third egg and didn't lay for a long time but she started laying again after worming. She is a coturnix quail. She had foamy poop before but now it's just wet because of all that water. I will try probiotics and apple cider vinegar then, and I'll tell you if she's better or not. :)

Yes, but she stopped laying after her third egg and didn't lay for a long time but she started laying again after worming. She is a coturnix quail. She had foamy poop before but now it's just wet because of all that water. I will try probiotics and apple cider vinegar then, and I'll tell you if she's better or not. :)

Yes, too much water in itself will cause watery poop. When they are sick they can stop laying, but good to hear she has laid, a good indication of health.

Keep us posted this week and if this doesn't make any difference, we can try something else. :)

Yes, too much water in itself will cause watery poop. When they are sick they can stop laying, but good to hear she has laid, a good indication of health.

Keep us posted this week and if this doesn't make any difference, we can try something else. :)
Are you sure I don't need to put more cider in their water? That amount seems to be quite small to me, but I'm not an expert.

Are you sure I don't need to put more cider in their water? That amount seems to be quite small to me, but I'm not an expert.

The norm is 1-2 tablespoons cider to 1 gallon of water. However I have found that 2 tablespoons is too strong and they either won't drink it or they don't drink enough. 1 tablespoon seems quite tolerable to most birds, this equates to 3/4 teaspoon cider per 1 qt of water.

The norm is 1-2 tablespoons cider to 1 gallon of water. However I have found that 2 tablespoons is too strong and they either won't drink it or they don't drink enough. 1 tablespoon seems quite tolerable to most birds, this equates to 3/4 teaspoon cider per 1 qt of water.
Oh okay.

Water is coming out of her beak sometimes. Is it possible that she drinks so much that she is throwing up? Or is she just drooling?

Birds can't actually throw up the contents of crop or stomach but the crop can become so full it backs back up. Birds with yeast infections many times do a lot of drooling. Keep up with the apple cider vinegar and lets see how she does. Keep us posted!

Birds can't actually throw up the contents of crop or stomach but the crop can become so full it backs back up. Birds with yeast infections many times do a lot of drooling. Keep up with the apple cider vinegar and lets see how she does. Keep us posted!
I don't know much about birds yet, but it seems like I learn something new every day...I haven't seen improvement so far, but I hope she'll get better soon.

Back
Top Bottom