Sad rooster

HD3

Hatching
Apr 26, 2024
4 of our hens were killed by a dog. We had 4 young roosters and one hen left. One of the roosters stayed with the hens and fought and survived (the rest fled) the rooster that stood up is now super depressed and wants nothing to do with the other birds. How do I help him recover? (No external injuries minus feather loss) (18 more female chicks coming in 2 weeks) should I put them with the rooster? What can I do now?

Hey welcome to BYC!

I’m sorry for the loss of your hens. That’s really unfortunate. How long ago was it? If it wasn’t that long ago, I’d probably just wait it out. If it’s been a while, and he’s still refusing to interact with the other chickens, then I don’t think there’s much you can do. You could try scattering some treats in the yard for him to find; that always made my chickens happy. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Hey welcome to BYC!

I’m sorry for the loss of your hens. That’s really unfortunate. How long ago was it? If it wasn’t that long ago, I’d probably just wait it out. If it’s been a while, and he’s still refusing to interact with the other chickens, then I don’t think there’s much you can do. You could try scattering some treats in the yard for him to find; that always made my chickens happy. 🤷🏻‍♀️
It happened last weekend. He is not eating much. I can try meal worms any suggestions on best treats to try? Antho6ny else I can do?

It happened last weekend. He is not eating much. I can try meal worms any suggestions on best treats to try? Antho6ny else I can do?
That sounds good. Also, when my chickens don’t want to eat I mix water with their feed. They love it and it keeps them hydrated so it’s a double win. I’d try giving him some of that if he isn’t eating well.

4 of our hens were killed by a dog.

First of all, sorry for your loss. That is a hard thing to go through.

How do I help him recover? (No external injuries minus feather loss) (18 more female chicks coming in 2 weeks) should I put them with the rooster? What can I do now?

I have never had an adult rooster so I cannot speak from experience. But I can imagine that he might still be in shock from the attack. It may take some time for him to heal emotionally. I really am just guessing.

I don't integrate my chicks with adult birds until they are at least 8 weeks old. I have always had hens and pullets, never an adult rooster, so I don't know if he would be protective of the young chicks or if he would pick on them.

Most wounds heal with time, so for now, just make sure your rooster is well taken care for and I hope he rebounds soon. Good luck.

:welcome And, welcome to the BYC community even if under this terrible situation.

Another curious development. We have some shallow standing water due to heavy rains on the property. Every time I let the roostet out he goes and stands in the water (about an inch deep) and he just stays there for hours. He also won't go into the coop at night, so we have had to find him. Last night, I thought it was just a fluke that he was in the water area and then he went there again today. Any idea why?

Is it possible he has internal injuries or bad bruising from the ordeal?

Giving him a baby aspirin can help if he has pain or swelling going on. Just 1 that is 80mg like is commonly prescribed for people with high blood pressure.

Back
Top Bottom