Severe eye injury

wkshaddon

Songster
Aug 15, 2019
Lane County Oregon
So I got home last night and was looking for my little silky rooster named patootie. Couldn't find him in his normal spot, so I asked my aunt and she said he was in the little Coop that she seen him in there yesterday and just left him in there since he was already settled in well I went and got him out of there and took him to my room and then later she came in and she said yeah she noticed that he was beat up a little bit so I said what really and I turned and look at him and his eye is swollen so bad and his eyeball is tore up. I think he got picked or kicked by one of the other roosters because his comb is also bloody. I have no experience with this kind of injury and I have no clue how to treat him. I can't afford a vet so I'm hoping somebody here will be able to help me help him. He's my sweet baby boy, and I can't stand seeing him in pain or being able to look into his big brown beautiful eyes. He's still eating and drinking but he's so uncomfortable. I'm worried it'll get infected if I don't do something to treat it so please is there anyone that knows how to treat this kind of injury to the eye? What medicines I need what steps I need to take

Make up a saline solution and gently wipe the area with a clean cloth dipped in the solution to remove old blood and remove any dirt. Gently pat dry. At a chemist, buy some non stick pad, some stretchy bandage and some bandage tape, Dont worry if it seems too large as you can cut it down to size. Also pick up some betadine ointment. Put some ointment on the eye area and then place the pad non stick side against the eye. Use the stretchy bandage to wrap around the head, firm enough so that it stays in place but not too tight and then use the tape to secure it. repeat the whole process every day. It may get infected and then you could try some avian antibiotics. Without a vet, there's not much else to do except wait. I think keep him separated as chickens like to pick at things that look odd on other chickens such as the bandages.

So I got home last night and was looking for my little silky rooster named patootie. Couldn't find him in his normal spot, so I asked my aunt and she said he was in the little Coop that she seen him in there yesterday and just left him in there since he was already settled in well I went and got him out of there and took him to my room and then later she came in and she said yeah she noticed that he was beat up a little bit so I said what really and I turned and look at him and his eye is swollen so bad and his eyeball is tore up. I think he got picked or kicked by one of the other roosters because his comb is also bloody. I have no experience with this kind of injury and I have no clue how to treat him. I can't afford a vet so I'm hoping somebody here will be able to help me help him. He's my sweet baby boy, and I can't stand seeing him in pain or being able to look into his big brown beautiful eyes. He's still eating and drinking but he's so uncomfortable. I'm worried it'll get infected if I don't do something to treat it so please is there anyone that knows how to treat this kind of injury to the eye? What medicines I need what steps I need to take

Make up a saline solution and gently wipe the area with a clean cloth dipped in the solution to remove old blood and remove any dirt. Gently pat dry. At a chemist, buy some non stick pad, some stretchy bandage and some bandage tape, Dont worry if it seems too large as you can cut it down to size. Also pick up some betadine ointment. Put some ointment on the eye area and then place the pad non stick side against the eye. Use the stretchy bandage to wrap around the head, firm enough so that it stays in place but not too tight and then use the tape to secure it. repeat the whole process every day. It may get infected and then you could try some avian antibiotics. Without a vet, there's not much else to do except wait. I think keep him separated as chickens like to pick at things that look odd on other chickens such as the bandages.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20240426_172150.jpg
    IMG_20240426_172150.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 6
Separate him out.
Flush the eye with saline really well. You can find Terramycin eye ointment at TSC or online or you can use Original Neosporin.

Apply the ointment into the eye. Leave the eye uncovered, you risk sealing in more bacteria.

Work on getting him hydrated, sugar water or electrolytes would be good. Once drinking, then offer him food.

Oh thanks for the correction and info:) i was thinking it would work the other way around and protect the eye from bacteria and foreign objects getting in!

Separate him out.
Flush the eye with saline really well. You can find Terramycin eye ointment at TSC or online or you can use Original Neosporin.

Apply the ointment into the eye. Leave the eye uncovered, you risk sealing in more bacteria.

Work on getting him hydrated, sugar water or electrolytes would be good. Once drinking, then offer him food.
I went and bought some terramycin. Gently pressed on the swollen area around his eye and all the dark yellow stuff oozed out. Flushed his eye and applied the medicine. Been repeating twice a day for the past several days and I can actually see him eye again. I don't think he can see out of it still but its definitely gotten A LOT better. Thank you so much for your help

I went and bought some terramycin. Gently pressed on the swollen area around his eye and all the dark yellow stuff oozed out. Flushed his eye and applied the medicine. Been repeating twice a day for the past several days and I can actually see him eye again. I don't think he can see out of it still but its definitely gotten A LOT better. Thank you so much for your help
Sounds good, just keep caring for it like you are, getting all the pus out will help.

Hopefully he's not lost sight in the eye, but that can happen with injuries sometimes. Time will tell, the main thing is the keep infection at bay and let him heal up.

Even if he's lost sight in the eye, he can learn to adapt with one eye. He may be more vulnerable to predators, and you may want to keep him in a flock of just hens, no other roosters or he may do o.k. by himself.

Sounds good, just keep caring for it like you are, getting all the pus out will help.

Hopefully he's not lost sight in the eye, but that can happen with injuries sometimes. Time will tell, the main thing is the keep infection at bay and let him heal up.

Even if he's lost sight in the eye, he can learn to adapt with one eye. He may be more vulnerable to predators, and you may want to keep him in a flock of just hens, no other roosters or he may do o.k. by himself.

Back
Top Bottom